The Right Perspective

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Sick of Being Sick - A Complaint

First let me start by saying that I know how incredibly blessed we are to even be pregnant with what seems to be a healthy pregnancy. I know how hard it can be and I am not taking this for granted in any way, however....

I am sick of being sick. I will be 14 weeks tomorrow and I have been sick the entire time. Nausea every day, often most of the day, terrible migraine headaches several times a week for weeks, some vomitting, diarrhea (at the beginning for a few weeks)....you name it, I feel like I've had it this time around. On top of this, I have caught Emily's cold and have a head full of snot, a sore swollen throat and have lost what little ability to sleep I once had.

Last took the cake though. Andrew and I had pizza last night. I ate what might have equaled 2 slices (It was thin crust and cut in little squares). While I knew I might regret it because of heartburn, I figured it was okay once in a while. NOT! Almost immediately I felt lousy (stomach on top of cold). So I spent the rest of the evening debating which meds to take.....the anti-nausea stuff, the cold meds or benadryl to sleep. Finally I decided that I'd live with cold, take the nausea meds and hope that they made me comfortable enough to sleep.

I went to bed around 11 pm and as I was getting ready for bed, I attempted to brush my teeth. I had no more than stuck the toothbrush in my mouth before I started gagging. I made it to the toilet and proceeded to puke my dinner and guts out....even through my nose. Can I just say that when your sense of smell is already incredibly heightened, puking pizza through your nose is pure torture? And how is it possible to still smell when I'm full of snot anyway?

So after about 6 rounds of puking despite the meds, I finally laid down in bed and fell into a fitful sleep that resulted in me downstairs on the couch trying to breathe and get somewhat comfortable propped up. I have spent more nights on the couch already than I did in my entire first pregnancy. I'm ready for this part to be over. This is miserable. Sorry for complaining, but I'm literally sick and tired and I just need to get this off my chest.

5 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, Christina, I feel so bad for you! And there's nothing helpful I can think of to say.

I'll keep you in prayer...

Christina said...

Thanks, Skyepuppy.

I don't want to complain, but this is dragging on with no end in sight and the lack of sleep is getting to me.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Aw, honey. I'm so sorry. Wish there was something I could say or do...other than I completely understand; been there done that got the t-shirt; and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Hang in there - the light in the end of the tunnel is on its way!

Christina said...

Thanks Beth. I knew you would "get it" from every perspective.

Were your symptoms worse with your son or daughter? I've heard it gets worse with each pregnancy, and that is not encouraging at the moment. I am just afraid of feeling like this throughout the pregnancy because I feel lousy and can't get anything accomplished.

Oh well...only 26 more weeks, right?

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I was sicker with Flicka actually. It was different with Pojke - maybe since it was the second time, I wasn't nearly as anxious, or as self-absorbed as I was the first time, or I was too busy chasing Flicka to notice! LOL