The Right Perspective

Monday, January 19, 2009

On the Mend

Well, things here are (hopefully) on the upswing.

Friday was the breaking point. I started the day taking Emily to the pediatrician because she had an ear infection. We had a rough trip to the pharmacy to pick up Em's amoxicillin Rx, then we went home. Later in the day, after feeling nauseated all day, I tried eating again and promptly vomited all the soup and saltines that I had eaten not long before.

I had felt like I was slightly dehydrated before all this because I didn't have any desire to drink much, but after several days of vomiting that seemed to be escalating, I decided that I had enough warning signs of dehydration that I needed to be checked. Of course this happened on Friday evening, so around 7:00 pm, the three of us headed to the ER.

All things considered, we didn't spend a TON of time there. I was sent to a room almost immediately, had blood drawn and had briefly seen the ER doctor within an hour's time (almost unheard of). I was somewhat dehydrated with weird electrolytes, so I got hooked up to an IV and after a bag of fluids and a prescription for a different nausea med, we headed home around 11:00 pm.

We got home and tried (for the second time that day) to get Em to take her medicine, but after all that had gone on and two wasted doses, we gave up.

The last two days, I have felt better. No vomiting and the two new meds (verapamil for migraine control and Zofran for nausea) seem to be helping so far. Em is not faring quite as well, however. Long story short, we can no longer get her to take her antibiotic...and believe me when I say that we have Tried...It...All. After this morning's battle (round #7, with only 4 being successful), I called her doctor and begged for help. I'm sure she thinks we are not being good parents and aren't really trying hard enough, but I would love to see her try and be more successful. Seriously, if she had not given us another option, I would have literally told her that we would be coming in twice a day for the next 8 days so that she (the doctor) could give this child her medicine. But, it turns out that the doctor had a last resort measure that we could try....a shot. So, at 8:30 tomorrow morning, before school, we will be going in for an antibiotic shot of some sort, with a follow-up appt. next week to make sure it worked.

So, that's our update. I am hoping and praying that we have turned the corner and will all be healthy and happy again ASAP.

No comments: