The Right Perspective

Monday, December 11, 2006

Needing Peace

Well, I must apologize to my blog buddies and offer an explanation for my lack of posting. It mostly boils down to this...I am going through a really tough time with Emily right now. She is smack-dab in the midst of terrible twos, she is incredibly strong-willed, she lacks adequate communication skills and she currently is absolutely refusing to fall asleep for naps or bedtime without an hour or two (or more) of shrieking and screaming. She's physically fine, but whatever is causing her to not want to sleep in her crib is causing a great deal of havoc for me right now.

I love this little girl more than she will probably ever know, but I hate doing battle with her all day and night with no breaks. (Just as an example, she's had no nap today, we put her to bed at 8:30 and now, at 10:45, she's still crying. She screamed for a solid hour, then Andrew went up to check on her to make sure she didn't have a dirty diaper, and now I can tell that he's trying to leave her room again because she's started crying again.)

This is the way it's been since the middle of last week. I'm tired. I'm extremely frustrated. I'm seriously discouraged and depressed. I'm miserable and I dread visiting my relatives this Christmas because Emily doesn't sleep well during normal visits...Something, soon, has got to give.

So, if you've got a minute...please pray....and be understanding if I'm not around for a while because right now, this is very, very low on my list of priorities.

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Ugh! I had that problem with my daughter (not the lack of communication part, but the crying for hours). She would NOT stay in her bed. We had to stand at her bedroom door, pulling on the door knob to keep the door shut (no lock on the outside of the door), while she tried to tug it open, crying all the while. We'd take turns to give each other a break. It's called tag-team parenting.

Not to depress you even further, but her hours-long crying jags recurred (less often, thankfully) into her teen years. As a teenager, she cried because she had ABSOLUTELY NO FRIENDS! And NOBODY LIKES ME! And... you get the picture. But that was only now and then, not most nights like when she was little.

She's now a lovely young lady with a godly disposition, and she's a joy to be around darn-near all the time.

I'll continue to keep the three of you in my prayers.

janice said...

I have no advise, only a prayer you both make the most of the time when she does nod off.

Remember, this will pass. Maybe, the time away this Christmas, Emily will be so excited she'll be tired enough to sleep. I would suggest no afternoon naps while on holiday. Then, theoretically, she'll be ready to sleep at night.