The Right Perspective

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Potty Training...Number 2

Okay, so I have to admit our dirty little secret. We have what appears to be the oldest child we know who is still not fully potty trained.

Yes, it stinks!

I am tired of changing diapers. I am tired of buying diapers or pull-ups or "nighttime undies" as we've taken to calling them. You see, Emily is now three and three-quarters years old. She is our "little" Amazon woman which also provides an interesting challenge...diapers are not made for almost-4 year olds who are built more like 5 year olds. So we have resorted to the only thing left which fits, only at night and naptime...diapers for older children who have bedwetting issues. If possible, they might even be more expensive than regular diapers because they cannot be bought in bulk.

Our problem is with number 2. Yep...poop. Em has been peeing in the potty for at least 6 months now with almost no problem. She can even stay dry during her nap. But she absolutely stubbornly refuses to poop on the potty. She waits until I put her diaper on at night to poop.

So this week, I determined that enough was enough. It was time to get down to business. I took away the diapers. I wasn't too worried about naptime, because from time to time, Em would take a suprise nap with her big girl undies on and keep them dry. She was okay with naptime being in regular undies, but nighttime is a different story. She really wants her diaper. She wants it to poop. And I'm not giving in...and neither is she. I have a feeling she will have a little trouble with bedwetting, so I'm not opposed to giving her a diaper to sleep in at night only, but if all she wants it for is to poop in, then all bets are off. The time has come to take a stand.

Except, how do you make a kid poop if they are destermined not to?

We're now going on day 3 and still nothing. I have told her that if she doesn't go, it will make her tummy hurt. I've explained how the whole thing works. I've bribed. I've taken away her precious princess dresses (nightgowns that she would wear all day and night) until she gives in. So far, nothing is moving.

So now what? I don't want to scare her. I don't want to make it a terrible experience, but at the same time, when is enough enough? She is supposed to be fully potty trained before preschool. I know she will be fine and I really haven't pressured up until this point, but at almost four years old, this is ridiculous.

Any suggestions, help, advice, tips or encouragement is completely begged, solicited and welcome at this point!

(And all puns, fully intended...hey you gotta laugh, right?)

6 comments:

janice said...

WOW! That really does stink (no pun intended). I have no idea how to help on this one. Christopher was fully potty trained at 364 days, yes, the day before his first birthday, no more diapers.

Have you thought of just putting her on the potty at "that scheduled" time and see if she'll bite (no pun intended)?

3 days is a long time, she sure is stubborn. It's obvious she "knows" what she's doing, she just wants to do it in a diaper.

Good luck and keep us posted!

SkyePuppy said...

Oh boy!

Each of my kids was potty-trained at 3 years, 2 months (they had better things to do than to stop playing to go potty). But by then they were able to hold it if we were in the check-out line at the store.

Of course, this is a control issue with Emily, but you knew that already. You're the mom, so YOU MUST WIN!

One of my nurse friends told me a while ago that she had to help a woman who was "impacted" for two weeks (I had to get the definition of that--no poops for 2 weeks). If Emily lets it go that far, a visit to the hospital might be in order. And that may be enough to keep her "moving" in the future.

I hope it doesn't have to go that far, though.

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, yes. This is exactly why they call control freaks "anal retentive."

Christina said...

Janice,

I am completely jealous! How in the world did you pull that off?

And yes, we've tried putting her on the potty at the appointed time (it happens to be bedtime). It's always part of our routine, but so far, she's content to hold out.

And most definitely yes...she is incredibly stubborn.

Christina said...

Skye,

Interesting that both of your kids, especially since you had one of each, potty trained at exactly the same time. In some ways, it's easier when they're older. They understand more and they can communicate their needs better.

And then there's Em. Her stubborness and need to control come into full play.

I will win, but daggone it, she is still wetting the bed overnight, so I'm not sure how to get around the diaper at night issue. I know she'll just wait it out.

I do worry a bit that she will get impacted. I know that's a possibility, but then I also know that it will have to come to this eventually.

By the way, your "anal retentive" comment made me laugh out loud...thanks!

janice said...

Iwas never one to change diapers. Once his "diapers" started to look less baby-like, I got him on the pot.

To for go diapers at night, try putting plastic on her mattress under her sheet. Then you'll save the mattress at least.