The Right Perspective

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ford Loses $12.7 Billion in 2006

The title pretty much says it all. Ford is losing money at an incredible rate. This isn't really much of a surprise as most, if not all, American car companies are struggling to turn a profit these days. There are a lot of reasons for the losses in profit including poor management, too many governmental restrictions, and unreasonable union demands, among others. But in Fords' case, I believe there is something else that they might want to start considering.

In recent months, the American Family Association has been putting pressure on Ford to stop their support of the homosexual agenda. At first, Ford balked, then pledged to remain neutral in the "culture war", and then made the decision to ignore the call of many Christians and conservatives and defiantly support some rather offensive homosexual material. According to the AFA, "Among other things, the company reneged on their agreement to remain neutral in the culture wars, increased their support of homosexual publications, sponsored TV programs pushing homosexuality and required employees to attend "diversity" training promoting homosexuality." They also sponsored an extremely graphic homosexual scene in FX's show "Dirt" (Jan. 16th episode). So graphic was this scene that, although I read the description of what was shown, I won't post it here. Apparently it is also available for viewing on YouTube, but you must sign in to prove you are 18 or older, which indicates to me that I have no need to see for myself the depravity of such a scene.

As a result, the AFA has organized a boycott of the Ford Motor Company. (for more info, visit http://www.boycottford.com/) Now, I realize that not everyone is into boycotting, because quite frankly, these days, a Christian could just about boycott everything which isn't always feasible. However, I'm seriously considering this one, which is sort of an inconvenience as we bought a Ford minivan last year and it's still under warranty. But I digress...

I believe that Ford is beginning to feel the wrath of a lot of conservatives who have had enough of the brazen support for all that is unholy and anti-Christian. I think that the 2006 numbers are so bad, at least in some part, because there are people (at last count, 659,270) all over who, just like me, have had far too much of companies trying to force their liberal agenda in our faces. And maybe, this is a way to fight back...

4 comments:

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Christina,

I got that AFA email. And, I sent Ford an email describing how I am a Dearborn native and thus grew up in the shadow of Ford World HQ (and I went to Edsel FORD High School LOL).

And, I have been a lifelong Ford supporter despite continued criticism particularly from the guys Da Hubby works with - at a UNION tool and die shop - who the majority have bought foreign vehicles.

But, I told them I was very disappointed over this latest development and I am now embarassed that I have two Ford products sitting in my driveway.

We will definitely think twice before buying another Ford product!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a steel "union" household. That said, I'm totally anti-union. They're no longer needed in today's economy.

Look at the profits coming from Honda and Toyota, both nonunion companies for the most part. The management, treatment of their employees with little union involvement had led to high profits and better products.

And lets not forget, they're built in America by Americans.

Christina said...

JT,

I agree...there was a time when unions were necessary, but that time has passed and they have become a great burden on the auto industry, in my opinon.

You said that, "The management, treatment of their employees with little union involvement had led to high profits and better products." I would be willig to bet that employee job satisfaction is higher too. I'd be curious to see if there was any study done on employee satisfaction in union-represented jobs versus non-union rep. jobs.

Thanks again for commenting.

Christina said...

Beth,

I haven't sent an email...yet. I do know how you feel about being embarassed by owning one of their products. I like my van, but I will certainly try to avoid buying Ford vehicles in the future (which hopefully will be quite a while!)

It's sad that I can't support an American company, but if they choose to support such a liberal agenda, then they're going to lose my business.

Thanks for stopping by! How are your little ones?