The Right Perspective

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Moussaoui Trial

I've been trying to decide how I feel about the Moussaoui verdict.

My initial reaction was disbelief that the jurors sentenced him to life in prison. I was surprised (why, I don't really know) and frustrated. My reaction earlier today was to reconsider. After all, the justice system did work. The jurors heard the evidence and testimony and made their decision based upon the facts (I hope). Then I heard some of the victims' family members speak, one mother in particular, and decided that maybe I was wrong. She said something to the effect that the world heard what Moussaoui was through his words actions and now they are hearing what America is through our words and actions. Her argument was basically that we have to be better than them (the terrorists). I have also heard those who say that since Moussaoui wanted to die and be a martyr, then we shouldn't grant him his wish.

Now I think I know how I feel. I still disagree with the jury's decision. I think Moussaoui, as a self-confessed part of the terror plots and attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 , should have received the death penalty. Would it have made him a "martyr" to other Muslim terrorists? Who knows, it might have. But it would most definitely have been a rude awakening to Moussaoui when he found himself in a very horrible, hot place rather than relaxing with the "virgins".

Instead, we (the taxpayers) will have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for room and board for this terrorist. He will get three square meals a day, a safe place to live and he gets to continue to have visitors, privileges and probably countless media interviews. He can continue to spew his hatred and hurtful words to whomever he wishes. The media will eat it up, after a respectful 3-4 months of waiting for the intial fervor to die down (out of deference to the victims' families, no doubt). There is already talk that Moussaoui's mother wants to have him handed over to the French prison system. I'd say this was a fine idea, let them pay for his life...but the French would no doubt release him for some inane reason, so I suppose if he must rot in a prison cell it might as well be here.

Then again, maybe we should send him back to Afghanistan and tell the Muslims there that he has converted to some other religion. Then they can try him for that offense. Maybe that would be justice.

I know I sound angry. I am. I understand the justice system in America. I understand that American citizens have certain rights and they must be upheld. I get that, respect it and agree with it, which is why I think that Moussaoui's trial should never have taken place in the American courts in the first place. He, and any other enemy combatant, should be tried in a military tribunal. That would be justice. This man planned to attack America. He remained silent when he most likely could have prevented (or at least tried to) the deaths of thousands of Americans. He went to war with America and he should have been tried in a military tribunal, not a regular American court. That is the fundamental mistake here and I fear it is only the first of more trials in which those who wage war with America will be given rights and privileges they not only don't deserve but wish to take from the rest of us.


We are at war. The rules cannot be the same. America can still be a fair and just country, but if we want to remain free to be a great haven of justice, we must not allow our enemies to use our kindness against us. We must let our military deal with military enemies and our civilian courts with our civilian offenders.

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I'm with you, Christina. Moussaoui got life, which is way more than he deserves.

janice said...

Well said....

Malott said...

This is the first I've heard about visitors and interviews. My understanding was that the words he spoke leaving the courtroom were "the last we would likely hear from Moussaoui," as the guy in the newsroom said. I hope the news guy was right.