The Right Perspective

Monday, May 01, 2006

A Flock of Ignorant Sheep

Bryan Alexander has posted an excellent piece on his Right Thinking blog regarding a Democratic "fix" for rising gas prices.

I encourage you to read Bryan's post because he tackles a subject I often find myself trying to avoid. I am not an economic scholar. Far from it, in fact. Truth be told, I've never once taken an economics course, either in high school or college, the first because it was not offered and the latter by choice and schedule restrictions. Although I really do not like anything involving mathematics and numbers, I wish I had taken a basic Econ. course. (I have always joked that I became a music major so that I wouldn't have to count any higher than 12, at the most.)

I joke, but I'm not really kidding. I don't like dealing with numbers. They intimidate and confuse me pretty easily, so I have always let others worry about the economy for me. Which, as it turns out, is exactly what liberals want from me.

The liberals among us hope that Americans will remain ignorant on important subjects like economics, social policies and terrorism. They must, otherwise they would not continue to feed us only half the real story. They would give us all the facts and let us decide for ourselves. They would keep us fully informed and help us reach the logical conclusions that the true facts bear out. But they don't and Americans must not assume that they will.

Instead, the liberals have an agenda. They want us to remain ignorant because in our ignorance, they can slip all manner of destructive legislation past our blinded eyes, and then use the liberal media to make it look very desirable. They know exactly how to package their false product to make it appealing to those who don't know better. They excel in fancy advertising and pretty wrapping, but what's inside the box is almost always a defective, harmful product.

The conservatives of this country, both legislators and media figures, try their best to combat the liberals by providing all the facts, by trying to educate and by telling the truth about issues such as economics, social policies and terrorism. The problem is, the truth is usually not pretty. It is often frightening in some ways and most of all, it often requires us to take actions that the liberals would deem "intolerant" or "uncompassionate".

And like the blissfully ignorant sheep that many Americans have become, due to the (intentional) dumbing down of our education system, the American sheep prefer the pretty patch of grass closest to the wolf. We prefer to remain ignorant because it's easier to let someone else do the thinking for us. After all, what we don't know can't hurt us, right?

Wrong! It most certainly can and will hurt us, and I for one, am tired of being the ignorant sheep. And so, even though I detest wading through the plethora of numbers and economic data, I will do my best to educate myself on this issue because I don't want someone else to do the thinking for me. I want to be as informed as possible so that the wool doesn't get pulled over my eyes by the ever hopeful liberal wolf.

No comments: