The Right Perspective

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hot-Button Issue and Votes

Reuters reports that a Senate panel has passed a proposal that would allow a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages to be debated in the full Senate. The proposal passed by a 10-8 vote along party lines.

Apparently things got a little heated, with Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI.) storming out to the words, "If you want to leave, good riddance," from Senate Judiciary Chairman, Arlen Specter (R-PA.). Obviously, the topic is a hotly debated one, generally splitting the country down party lines.

As I read the report, my initial thought was that this was a step in the right direction. I would whole-heartedly support this amendment. Then I kept reading and found myself disgusted.

Reuters' reporter Andy Sullivan mentions that Sen. Specter voted for the proposal but does not plan to back it. He merely thinks the entire Senate should get the opportunity to vote. (Thanks a lot, Mr. Senator, but how about representing your conservative Republican constituents when it counts, for a change?)

Sullivan then writes, "The gay-marriage ban is one of several hot-button social issues Republicans are raising to rally conservative voters ahead of November's congressional elections." This is what got to me.

While I understand that this is just a reporter who is writing his own version of the story, he probably isn't far from the truth. Yes, Republicans are trying to rally their base. There's nothing wrong with that. What I have a problem with is using "hot-button" issues to garner votes.

To me, issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, illegal aliens, judicial nominees, etc. are not just topics around which I rally. I believe, as many other conservative Republicans do, that these issues deal with absolute truths, are essential principles of our freedom, define our values and are absolutely vital to the health and well-being of our citizens and our country. These aren't just popular debating topics to me. They are immensely important. The decisions we make today will effect future generations and the lives of billions of people.

I don't want my congressmen to use these issues to get re-elected if the importance of the issues is not fully understood. If they are simply using the issues to get votes, but then refuse to do the will of the voters, then the system breaks down.

Although I realize that this article doesn't specifically quote members of Congress saying this about "hot-button" issues, I have heard this idea expressed by our Representatives on more than one occasion. This is what concerns me. If the tough issues before our legislators are only being used for re-election purposes and have no deeper meaning to these men and women, then I believe our country is headed down a dark and dangerous path that leads to self-destruction.

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

The fact that you're blogging shows that you have hot buttons. Sadly, too many Republicans are just plain tepid about the issues. They go through their daily lives, and as long as the Sears Tower and the Capitol don't get hit by passenger jets, they don't pay much attention.

We need the hot button issues to rouse these tepid conservatives enough to get off their duffs and go vote. If we can't get them to the polls, the Democrats win (because they tend to be more heated about their issues than we are). And if the Democrats win, we can kiss the world as we know it goodbye.

As for the dear Senator Specter, we should only be surprised by what he does and says when it actually looks and sounds Republican. He's one of the RINO caucus (may he be defeated by a real Republican the next time he's up for re-election).

Great post, Christina!

Malott said...

I'm sure Senator Luger has a wet finger in the air.

Some how I'm also sure if the votes were there for passage, it wouldn't have made it out of committee.

Needs 2/3 of the Senate, right?