The Right Perspective

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Before and After: A Saga in Gardening

Before: A long winter of neglect and disinterest.


After: 2 days of weeding, 4 new hosta plants and a lot of mulch.

Before: Ugly old planter left by previous owner, dead black-eyed susans that took over the end of the flower bed.


After: 2.5 hours of intensive labor, 23 bags of mulch (note the wet drag marks on the sidewalk...they were quite heavy for me to move) and 2 new hosta plants. (still need to find something more attractive to channel the water away though)

I feel...TIRED and SORE and really pleased. I still have about 8 bags of mulch, but about a half-hour into my gardening today, it started to rain and it hasn't stopped yet. So no more gardening for me today, and maybe the rest of the week. I'm not done. I still have several other areas that need to be mulched and weeded (Sigh) and I found a small birdbath/fountain that I want to add and maybe some lights lining the walkway to the front door. We'll see. It is now time for me to turn on the feminine charm and bat my eyes at my dear, sweet, hard-working husband and hope for the best. (Wink, wink) For now, I'm just glad I can look out the front door and not feel overwhelmed.

Oh and enjoy those newly-planted hostas fast. They've lived under my care for a whole 24 hours now...they're bound to die soon. But I hope my luck is turning...

10 comments:

janice said...

Looks great, might I suggest some easy care rose bushes. They will add color and you only need to cut them down once a year.

SkyePuppy said...

This looks wonderful. Your hard work is paying off.

It was nice of the rain to give you a breather, though. Enjoy your rest.

Christina said...

Janice,

Sometimes I see a pretty rose bush and am sorely tempted, but then I think of having to deal with the thorns and pruning. I seriously know nothing about gardening. I can read all the included instructions and still kill the plant.

But I might give it a try. I love hydrangeas and I think I have a good spot for one, but when I bought a small one last year and planted it (in a different location) it died in record time. Now I'm a little gun-shy, so-to-speak.

Christina said...

Skyepuppy,

Thanks. I really have done anything spectacular, but as this is my first serious foray into gardening, I'm kinda proud of the changes. The real test will be if my hostas live and the combo of mulch/weed preventer and weed fabric will actually lead to fewer weeds. Time will tell.

And yes, although I'm kind of in the get-it-done-already mode, I am sort of glad for the break. (It's raining again today, so I guess I'll just have to go to the mall instead...)

Malott said...

Very pretty. Might I suggest a large plaster gnome, or perhaps some plastic flamingos. Then again, a lawn jockey is more in line with your husband's tastes.

It all looks very nice.

Christina said...

Chris,

I don't really think gnomes or flamingos are what the garden needs. The lawn jockey...well, I'll have to confer with my darling worker-bee husband, but I"m thinking I already know his answer to that. Now a lawn boy, he might go for, just so he didn't have to cut the grass.

Now, if I could find a nice statue of a cat...ooohh wait, maybe I'll have someone make a bronze rendering of my two cats. Now that would be a striking garden display!

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

Don't listen to Chris! I must express in strong words and harsh pictures that the pink flamingos MULTIPLY and then DIE in crimson carnage.

Hedgehog Blog has the proof here

janice said...

I agree with Skye, you don't want all those dead birds in your garden. You could be linked to plastic bird flu, identified as patient zero in your hood.
It could get ugly, I do like the gnome idea.

Malott said...

Christina,

I strongly caution against procuring graven images of cats. It's sinful enough that you harbor real felines.

And SkyePuppy,

Don't listen to Chris? This from a woman who expressed her taste by choosing to live in California? Besides, if you watch "Amelie" you'll have a whole new appreciation for gnomes.

And Janice,

You are a gnome person? Thanks for your support.

Christina said...

Skyepuppy,

Thanks for the image from Hedgehog blog. Those things do have a nasty way of multiplying. I think I'll heed your warning.

Janice,

"Plastic bird flu"? That's great...just what I would need to really endear myself to our neighbors. Definitely must not buy the flamingos.

Chris,

Not a word about my darling kitties. I am raising your great-niece to love them as much as I do, and I'm slowly but surely convincing your nephew that cats are cooler than dogs. He won't admit it yet, but he's coming around.