The Right Perspective

Saturday, March 07, 2009

A Season of Change

In just a few short months, our lives will change yet again when a new baby becomes part of our family. Since we have a child who is resistant (to say the least) to change of any kind, we've been trying to prepare her as best we can and do the physical changes that have to be done in small increments. Today, we switched her small twin bed for the queen-size bed that had been in our spare bedroom. We've talked about doing this for several weeks and she was quite excited as we moved things around.

Pictured above is Em's "new" bed. It takes up a lot of space in her room, but due to window/closet/door placement, this was the best spot.

This is Em when she saw the finished product. Yes, this 4.5 year old is at least half as long as queen-size bed. Yes, that's crazy.

Next to the bed, and on the closet wall, are Emily's books. She loves to read them at night, and now they have a bit more of a home than before.

The above picture shows some of the detail in Em's room. The room is painted a light blue on top and a soft green on the bottom. There are clouds in the "sky" and a stenciled border of pink and yellow flowers with bees, butterflies, dragonflies and the occasional inch worm and snail. The only real reason for this picture is to demonstrate the stenciling skill of yours truly, when I actually had the time and brain-power for such fine details. This, of course, is the best decorated room in our house.




And here, finally, is Miss Em, all tucked into her big bed, sporting a lovely pink polka dot nightgown, a few of her favorite stuffed "ammimmals" and blankets and her StoryReader story book. She looks so content, doesn't she?


Ahhh....not so fast.


I left her room at around 7:30 pm. I've been back to "visit" at least 3 times since then and there has been MUCH weaping and gnashing of teeth. I believe it can best be summed up with some of Emily's own words:


"I don't want this bed...I want my old bed."


"This bed is 'uncunstable'...I liked my old bed better." (Totally untrue, but that doesn't matter.)


"This bed is too big for my room. It might poke a hole in my wall."


"I don't want this bed! I don't like this bed! I WANT MY OLD BED BACK!!!"


And after I told her that no matter how much she fussed, cried and threw a fit, the bed was staying...


"I don't want a brother or a sister!!!"


Yes, this is the Emily we all know and love. July should be fun!




5 comments:

Dina said...

Hi, looks like I've missed out on a couple of posts, but I went through them quickly. The crabbies look very yummy I might give them a go one of these days when my stomach is not upside down (pregnancy hormones working at their best this time round :( ).
I guess change is always hard for the older siblings, I remember when I was pregnant with my son we were aswell trying to prepare a hard headed , strong willing girl for a change!! We did have though moments but we had to persist on them as change was still going to happen !! Now I am preparing both of them for the change. Even I need to prepare myself for a very long and hot sticky summer with me being pregnant (I don't like our summers, they are way too hot and too long!!). Well enough said take care and have a nice sunday.

SkyePuppy said...

Oh joy! My firstborn wasn't strong-willed, so I missed that fun.

Your stencilling brings back memories. I stencilled rocking horses (I made the stencil from a picture in a coloring book, because all the pre-made rocking horses were elongated in the country-decor style that I hated) around the middle of my son's room. It was adorable.

Your decorating is even more adorable. Love the butterflies!

Christina said...

Dina,

First, the crabbies are yummy, but when I was at your stage...they would have turned my stomach too.

Second, I do not envy you one bit being pregnant through a hot summer. I was very fortunate with Emily that even though she was born in September, it was after one of the coolest summers on record. This time, I should have the next one before it gets too bad.

Third, I definitely understand about being persistent with our strong-willed gal. It feels mean sometimes, but you have to do it. One thing I will say is that it is never boring!

Christina said...

Skyepuppy,

Trust me, you missed nothing! Oh how I hope the next one is more compliant. I'm not sure I can handle two stubborn kiddos.

The rocking horse idea sounds very cute. I'd like to think that I will come up with something that looks as well-planned as Em's room for this next baby, but I don't know....with Emily's constant help, two inquisitive cats (who weren't a problem last time) and one incredibly attentive (to me only) dog...it's not looking promising!

Bekah said...

awwww - I will admit that I did laugh at that last line - but I do feel bad for you! I wondered how things would go for her along the way. AND I had also wondered how you would do the new baby's room. I love the work you put into Em's room. I was very impressed when I saw it in real life. (Not that I'm not impressed here...never mind.)