The Right Perspective

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Okay, Enough Already

The title of this post sums up how I feel.

I am 23+ weeks pregnant. Starting last week (Sat/Sun) I had a cold...which has completely stuffed up my nose and given me a hacking cough that is persisting. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I have/am developing a sinus infection, since I have plenty of pressure in my face around my sinuses, I'm blowing increasingly colorful stuff and I've had a headache since Saturday night.

Then Andrew and Emily came down with the cold. Emily seems to be faring the worst so far, but I've continued to send her to school (at her request) because the last time this happened the doctor said there really was no reason to keep her home.

Today, Emily has coughed non-stop and was increasingly lethargic and incredibly fussy. I don't know where our thermometer is, so I haven't checked her temperature, but given her worsening disposition, I decided to take her to the doctor. Apparently, that was a good call.

We got to the doctor, with Emily crying the entire way there, and even while the nurse was doing all the intake "stuff". Then they checked her temp. Of course, at this point, it was obvious to me that she had a fever. She had on a shirt, fleece jacket and pants in 70 degree weather, but was still complaining of being cold, plus her legs hurt. The nurse told us that her temp was 103.5...the highest temp that Em has had. So off the nurse went to get some tylenol, at which point Emily REALLY got upset.

If you will recall back a couple months ago to the great Amoxicillin fiasco of January, getting Emily to take medicine is more than a minor ordeal. As soon as the nurse returned with the 1 tsp. dose of cherry tylenol, all heck broke loose. Emily started trying to run away, made herself try to throw up (mostly just spitting all over me) and generally being absolutely 100% uncooperative. One would think that a 4.5 year old, 40 lber wouldn't be that difficult to handle...but that person would be wrong. We had to call in another nurse and the three of us together could hardly hold her down (and I'm not afraid to be tough). She finally decided to take the medicine on her own (rather than be held down) and then she was like a totally different child.

The doctor finally came in and checked her over. Her ears, throat and lungs looked fine, and the doctor's diagnosis was....THE FLU!!! (And yes, she had the flu-mist around October.) So after some general instructions on what to give her to keep her comfy, and a comment on how very much Emily talks...and talks...and talks...and talks....we headed home.

We have probably now spread the flu to her entire preschool. Yes, apparently I am *THAT* parent. And now, if we're really lucky, like we have been, this cold/sinus infection that I have will just be a pre-cursor to my own case of the flu.

Please, can I get off this ride?

2 comments:

Bekah said...

ohh sweetie! :( I'm sorry!!! And while I play a nurse in random ads...I'm not really one, BUT. I do have this to pass along to you from one of my friends who reads your blog. She said (and she's a mom, so she's way more qualified on this stuff than I am) that flu vaccines only last 3 months. She said her son was sick a lot when he was younger and their doctor told them he needed a shot in november and again in february.

Message delivered - and i hope you feel MUCH better. And i shall comment on your idol thoughts....

Christina said...

Well, that's info that would have been helpful from the Doctor! Grrrr....

Miss Em didn't have a fever when she woke up this morning and seems to feel better, so we'll see how the day goes.

In other news, someone is coming to look at/possibly fix the broken siding on our house today. That would certainly be nice.

Looking forward to your comments when you have a spare minute!