The Right Perspective

Friday, March 06, 2009

Picture Practice for Skyepuppy

Okay, so today was the first day in a very long, cold winter that was pleasant outside. The temperature was about 65 (which is, in my humble opinion, the perfect temperature that God intended) and the sun was shining on a day forecast to be rainy. So, off to the park Em and I went. I took her to play on the play equipment, and I took myself for the sunshine therapy and the photo opportunities.

I've been itching for a chance to try out some of the photography tips that Skyepuppy has been posting over on her blog. However, the weather has not been cooperative and even now, unless you love shades of brown, there's not too much of interest to photograph in Indiana in March. But hey, I gave it a shot.

The picture above is, I think, an example of framing. I like how the fence on either side of the picture seems to draw the viewer into the picture. I also think it's a bit of an example of using diagonals for interest...and I happen to like the way Em's shadow follows her. Then again....what do I know?

This next picture is an example of patterns....the various widths of white and red bars, and then the use of diagonals again in the black mesh top section. (again, it's March in Indiana...there's not much of interest!)


The picture above, I think, captures a couple of elements. First, the pattern of red bars, then the curving white bars and the contrasting black top make for a somewhat interesting picture.

And finally, the last picture is an example of finding curves. I looked up through the play structure and found the round black top piece and I like the way it contrasts in color and shape with the straight red and white bars as well as the straight "x" black bars.
So Skyepuppy...what's the verdict?



3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Wonderful!

Your Emily picture is the perfect time for centering the subject. You're right that the fence diagonals draw the eye to Emily. Also nice placement of the horizon above the center line, so the focus is below the horizon where Emily is. This same shot will be nice after the eternal winter ends and there are leaves on the trees.

I love the play equipment pictures too. The middle one is my favorite of the three. I think it's because you've got vertical lines with your camera turned vertically. I really like the way the sunlight is reflecting off the red bars in that one too. I could see that picture framed and on the wall of the city recreation department or someone's house who has red in their modern decor.

Very nicely done!

Tsofah said...

I'm no Skyepuppy when it comes to photography, Christina. However, I DO like the photos. So, I agree with Skyepuppy's verdict of "very nicely done!"

Only, my words would be more like "way cool Christina!" :-D

lurker in columbus said...

Very nice, Christina!

I loved the pic of Em and the railings to draw the eye to your (not-so) little one.