The Right Perspective

Friday, March 13, 2009

Let the Decorating Begin!!!

This post is for the inner decorator in all of us (plus my Mom and sister, so they can see what I try to describe over the phone!).



I've been trying to pick out a nice way to decorate our little guy's nursery. Decorating Emily's room was easy...she was a girl, I am a girl...I know what we like! However, I've never been a boy and so I'm struggling with my desire to make it cute vs. keeping it from being girly. I have extensively searched (mainly online) all sorts of crib bedding and have tentatively narrowed the choices down from thousands to about 5. I'd say that's pretty good. I think I know which one I like the best and I think Andrew actually agrees with me, but I thought I'd get opinions here too, because everybody likes to weigh in on the fun stuff like names and clothes and decorating....right?


The picture above is the crib I believe we've chosen. No, we wouldn't normally be buying a brand new crib for our second baby, but unfortunately, the crib we used for Emily was recalled last summer, along with another batch from the same manufacturer earlier this year. So, we now have to buy a new crib. The good news is that we got a voucher towards the purchase of a new crib. The bad news is that we are strictly limited to using this voucher at Babies r Us/Toys r Us, which have limited options and frankly only one choice that would be close to the amount that the voucher is for. So, we will have to shell out more money, but hopefully this one will not be recalled, plus it comes with the option of converting into a full size bed, so I guess the price is worth it.








The above picture is called "Ahoy Mate" and is one of the two sets I've actually seen and felt in real life. (I like soft fuzzy things, so feeling the material is important to me!) The colors are navy, medium and light blues, tan and chocolate brown with a splash of sage green here and there. I think I would paint the room sky blue (or a nice medium blue on the top half and a nice neutral tan or rich cream on the bottom half.)



This next set is fun, but the blue/tan paint scheme won't work so well here. The room would have to be blue or green or both, but that's just about the same colors as Em's room. We like the ocean idea (or water theme in general). This one seems more juvenile than the other theme, but that's okay.



The above set is called "Zoofari" (if I recall). Again, no blue and tan, but green and tan or all green or tan would work. Every kid likes animals, right? It's cute, and finding accessories would be pretty simple as animals are plentiful.


This next set is obviously a very "ocean-y" theme. Just for your info, I won't be doing the whole curtains and diaper stacker, matchy-matchy set thing, just the bedding and possibly a valance with some blinds and sheers. The colors would have to be a lot brighter with this set, probably an aqua color or baby blue/periwinkle blue color. This one definitely seems more baby-ish to me.




And finally, this set is called "Good Night, Sleep Tight", which is also embroidered on the bedding. It has little lambs and bunnies and bears (I think) with a nighttime sky. The colors are blue/sage/and I think rich cream, but perhaps yellow. It seems pretty gender neutral, but maybe I'm biased. It is pretty cute. Once again, the crib we would use will be a fairly rich medium brown color, not white.


So, those are the options. This, of course, is subject to change if I find something I like better, but I have been looking at a TON of websites and so far, I keep coming back to these few. There are other sets that I like, but they all seem very sophisticated and though *I* really like them, I'm trying to think like a little boy and so...this is what I've come up with.
Opinions?


8 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I like the top ocean one (option #2)and the Zoofari the best.

janice said...

I love the crib and it's ability to grow as your little one grows is great.

My first pick would be Good Night, Sleep Tight. It would look good with your crib.

My second would be the Zoofari. It would also look good with the crib you have pictured.

janice said...

Oh, I almost forgot. Do you have any names yet?

Bekah said...

Oh I love that crib. I think those converters are TOTALLY the way to go. Good job.

I vote for zoofari first because i think it's fun and I think it would be easy to convert as he gets older...and Good Night Sleep tight is my second pick. It's DARLING!!!!!

Dina said...

I like the Zoofari best. That's adorable. I still have the crib however I need to update the bumper and quilt set too. This is fun!! Enjoy.

janice said...

Bekah, did you notice you and I picked the same themes?

I'm not surprised, LOL!

Bekah said...

Janice - I did notice! Think she'll listen to us??? ;)

janice said...

Probably not, that's my luck....