The Right Perspective

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What was that again, Sonny?


This picture pretty much summarizes how I may end up spending the rest of this (halfway-over) pregnancy. And no, I'm really not joking.

I am currently signed up for the "Osteo-clinic" Friday morning, at my doctor's office. I was told to wear sweats or comfy clothes so that the docs could "move" me more easily. I have no idea exactly what is involved, but if it helps my back and hips and legs feel better, then I am ALL for it. Besides, I'm sure Miss Emily will get a kick out of it.

Let me back up a bit, however, and explain. Last Wednesday, I helped out with Em's preschool v-day party in the morning (nothing strenuous) and then did a very little living room straightening up in the afternoon (again, nothing strenuous at all). Sometime late Wednesday afternoon/early evening, it became apparent that I had injured myself in a big way.

And so, until Sunday, I was pretty much in constant pain when moving from any postion. I could barely stand up straight, walk or lift my legs (like to put on pants). When I would shift positions when sitting, I had shooting pain in my back and hips. When I laid down to sleep, as long as I didn't move, I didn't hurt, but holy moly batman did it hurt to move or turn over (and I already can't lay on my back). We're talking nearly-crying-shooting-burning pain. I've never had anything like that.

So last Friday, I called the OB to see if she had any suggestions. She thought maybe it was due to hormones or the weight of the uterus causing bones and cartilage to shift (which is normal, but not usually this early in pregnancy). I kind of doubted the whole "the-uterus-is-too-heavy" deal because A.) the baby still weighs less than 1 lb. and B.) I have not only not gained any weight so far, but I have actually lost 6 lbs. due to not caring about eating or drinking for about 15 weeks. So I made an appt. with the OB on Tuesday and tried to survive until then.

Yesterday I went to the appt. I am feeling better and able to walk, but I still have a burning pain in my hip and spot along one side of my back and I can't do a lot of walking or standing without really starting to hurt again. Even doing the dishes does me in, apparently. I have accomplished most of two loads of laundry, loaded and used the dishwasher and hand-washed the rest of the dishes, along with taking Miss Em to school, picking her up, taking her to play at Chick-fil-a (and having a strange conversation with a strange lady who told me far too much personal information and then offered me her business card if I knew of anyone who was having trouble getting pregnant.) Yeah, that was way too weird and uncomfortable and I was more than ready to leave. So today hasn't been a total waste, but oh, there is still so much to be done and I just can't do much more.

Maybe tomorrow...and maybe with a walker!

5 comments:

Dina said...

Sorry to hear you are in pain, I hope it's nothing too serious. I have also not gained too much weight so far in this pregnancy because I also am not feeling too good in the stomach area to eat anything especially after noon.

Take care

Bekah said...

Okay the picture is funny, but the story is not!! We'd be a pair today - you and me. Still love ya - even if you turn 80 at 30. LOL. :)

Jacob said...

Brainwave: you aren't Elisabeth Hasselbeck are you?

Christina said...

Ah Jacob...

Thanks for the laugh. It really did make me laugh out loud.

However I can assure you that I am not Elizabeth Hasselbeck. I believe she already has 2 children and is pregnant with her 3rd. I only have one at the moment and one on the way.

And just as an FYI: I don't even watch The View.

But again, thanks for the laugh!

Jacob said...

Darn.