The Right Perspective

Thursday, February 05, 2009

One of My Prouder Moments...

Well, I knew this pregnancy was different from last one very early on. With Emily, I had a very easy pregnancy. I had about 2 weeks of no appetite and then it was smooth sailing. I could not have asked for an easier, more enjoyable pregnancy.

With this little trouble-maker (ugh, I mean sweet-pea) there has been nothing but unfortunate symptoms. From all-day nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting and migraines, none of it has been easy or fun. I have not slept well from day one and I have aches and pains in my hips already (which I didn't have until 32+ weeks with Em).

But this week took me to a truly low moment.

I've been taking two new medications since my quick trip to the ER for rehydration. The zofran and verapamil seem to working quite well. I haven't puked since then, I feel much better in general and I am thrilled to say that I have not had any migraines since then either. But of course, these new meds are not without side-effects of their own. Normally, I don't have many (or any) side effects with medications, but apparently there is one that I will now have to consider much more carefully. The verapamil (a calcium channel blocker) mentioned that it could cause constipation (along with the more publicized dizzyness and low blood pressure). I didnt' really think too much about it because if you read the label and possible side effects of just about any medication, constipation is listed. So, I sailed through the first week on it, not paying any attention and still taking it pretty easy on the food as I gradually added food back into my life. Then came the second week. I was feeling pretty good and so I ate whatever I felt like (which oddly is generally more healthy than normal anyway.)

Then came this week.

And that's when it hit me (on Sunday night) that it had been a long time since I'd, well..ummm...gone. I wasn't sure how long, but I couldn't remember and from what I could remember it was already at the very least 5 days. Not good. So on Monday morning, I called the doctor and she told me to increase fiber (which I was already doing with shredded wheat and prunes...yes, I was getting desperate), to try colace and milk of magnesia.

And so on Monday evening, I found myself sitting across from Andrew, eating my prunes, taking my colace and milk of magnesia and wondering how I could possibly have gone from 30 to 85 overnight. I specifically remember telling Andrew that I was really not planning on having to do any of this until I was much, much older. We were laughing then.

By very early Tuesday morning, there was no more laughing. There were, however, tears. I comtemplated the fact that I may have an impacted bowel, considered another ER run and called the doctor again. Finally, after many trying hours, there was relief...and a clogged toilet...my first in nearly 9 years of married life.

Yes, that evening, as we worked together to unclog the toilet, we were laughing again, but it was definitely not my proudest moment.

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Just think of the embarrassment you saved yourself by not having to have the medical community (and it would feel like an entire community to you) solve your little problem. Not to mention how you spared some nurse or two from having to help you with this, when she could have been helping some exciting bleeding person instead.

No, your home remedy did more good than you can imagine. It was indeed one of your prouder moments. ;o)

Christina said...

I have thought of the embarassment I've saved myself, but at the time, I was willing to try anything. But I'm glad it didn't come to that and that the medical professionals were able to deal with "bleeding people".

I've since discovered a cereal with a whopping 13g of fiber (51% of your daily recommended amount) so that plus my old-lady Benefiber should help.

Ah the things this kid is putting me through already!