The Right Perspective

Sunday, April 02, 2006

What Country is This?



According to Fox News, Skyline Highschool in Longmont, Colorado, has had some trouble with students protesting the proposed immigration legislation, as have other states across the nation. Apparently tensions were running high, with many waving the Mexican flag in protest of the legislation. So in response to all the Mexican flags, other students chose to wave American flags. One student said (in the tv interview) that he wanted to see an American flag waved for every Mexican flag being waved.

The school's response? Ban all flag waving. Including the American flag.

"Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student." He went on to say, "When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it...They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

Okay, I understand that throwing the Mexican flag in the face of another student could be considered abuse, and I don't in any way condone that type of behavior. However, I do wonder if the the school would have banned flag waving if it had only been the Mexican flag...even if waving the Mexican flag was "vilifying" the American students opposed to the immigration policy. I somehow doubt it. And of course, all flags had to be banned because we wouldn't want the American flag being flown (in America) to somehow be perceived as superior to any other country's flag or to be threatening to any student. That wouldn't be right, now would it?

What country am I living in? It is still America, right? I think I'm going to go out this week and buy a new American flag for my flagpole. A big one. And personally, I don't care if my neighbor feels threatened by it. I live in America and I love it here. I'm proud to be an American and I have every right to show my patriotism...and I intend to.

2 comments:

Malott said...

Christina,

As a multiculturalist you are a failure.

Multiculturalism is the antithesis of assimilation... Another gift from the liberals.

Christina said...

Chris,

I have to say that this is one area in which I can proudly say I am a huge failure. Thanks for the compliment.

You are correct, the liberals have changed the terminology to make issues like this (and others) seem more acceptable. The problem is, sometimes there is nothing wrong with the original concept. Assimilation is not a bad word. Millions of immigrants prior to this generation completely assimilated themselves to the American way of life. They didn't deny their heritage, they simply understood that they had chosen to become a part of another culture and they did what other Americans did.

I don't have any problem with a Mexican immigrant legally coming to America to make his home here. I don't care if that person wants to fly a Mexican flag, eat Mexican cuisine, even speak Spanish at home. I think the problem comes when immigrants come here for all the benefits of America but don't want to be Americans. My feelings are pretty simple...if you have made your home here in America and are benefitting from living here, go ahead and be proud of your Mexican heritage and culture. Fly the Mexican flag...right UNDER the American flag.