The Right Perspective

Thursday, April 06, 2006

How Childish

I have been around a lot of children in my life. There are certain behaviors that are common in kids, at particular stages in their lives.

Take as an example, when two 6 year-olds are out on the playground and an argument (with hitting) occurs between the children. When called to account for their actions before the teacher, the child at fault will invariably say, "No, I didn't hit Bobby". It is his first instinct to lie. When asked to apologize for the hitting, the child will say, "I'm sorry", but only because he has to.

As a child gets older, he begins to understand that the teacher will see right through this out-right lie, so the child gets more creative. When called before the teacher to account for wrongdoings, the child will say something like "Yes, I did hit Bobby, but only because he called me a name." So now it is no longer a denial of wrongdoing altogether, but now it's someone else's fault. The "he-made-me-do-it" syndrome. An apology will be given only to avoid more trouble, and is forced rather than heartfelt.

When a person reaches an age of maturity, the response, when accused of wrongdoing, becomes the most sophisticated of all. "I hit Bobby because my environment made me the way I am". "I'm not to blame, I can't help my responses, and I am justified because this is my reality." There is no apology because the person feels justified.

It seems to me that there are a lot of immature, childish people out there these days. A chief example would be Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney.

When first accused of being involved in a scuffle with Capital Police and hitting the police officer, she denied hitting him and did not apologize. (This corresponds with 6 year old behavior.)

When the media began getting all sides of the story, McKinney admitted her part in the scuffle, but blamed the officer for not recognizing her and still did not apologize. (This corresponds with teenage behavior.)

When confronted with growing media coverage, McKinney did what a sophisticated child would do...she blamed the Capital police of racism. She was a product of her black environment and couldn't help feeling justified in her reaction. Absolutely no apology and no real regret.

Today, Ms. McKinney apologized....it was not heartfelt, it was not sincere. It was the apology of a 6 year old child who knows that she may very well get in trouble (a grand jury is now hearing the testimony of the Capital police) if she doesn't apologize. She will now say whatever it takes to stay out of trouble. But she won't mean it and when the opportunity presents itself again, she will respond in the same way. Why? Because she is a selfish, immature child who has not learned how to take responsibility for her actions.

No comments: