The Right Perspective

Monday, April 24, 2006

Flight 93: A Timely Lesson




There has been quite a bit of controversy over the movie based on the events of United Flight 93 that crashed over rural Pennsylvania on Sept. 11, 2001. The movie is due to be released in theaters April 28th and I plan to go see it. I will, of course, have to find a babysitter first, something that we rarely do. But in this case, I will make an exception. I want to see this movie not because I want to re-live the horrors of that day or the suffering that the passengers of this flight had to endure, but to honor the heroic efforts that those men and women made for this country and to remind myself of why America must win the war on terror.

You see, America has already forgotten what happened on that beautiful September morning when our peace and innocence was shattered by violent terrorism. When I watched those planes fly into the Trade Centers, the Pentagon and finally a field in Pennsylvania, I felt a fear I had never known in my then 25 years. I cried as I watched the continuous news coverage that I didn't want to see, yet couldn't stop watching. I felt the horror of wondering if my hometown would be next. I was afraid to leave my home because no one knew where the terrorists might strike next or if it was really over. I cringed whenever a plane flew overhead because the mere sound of a plane became a terrifying noise. I can still remember, more than a month later, sitting at my first Notre Dame football game during the first quarter and watching a plane fly over the stadium, low enough to read the airline name (the airport is nearby), the roar of the engines filling my ears, and wanting to leave immediately. I was terrified that plane was headed for the huge crowd of people. I felt like I would never truly feel safe again, not like I once did anyway.

But now, less than 5 years later, we have all really forgotten. It's easy for me to say that I "remember" my feelings on Sept. 11, but they aren't as strong or real anymore. It's easy to go through my day and actually forget about terrorism for the most part. That's what scares me a little bit. If I can this easily "forget" and move on with my life, so can the rest of us. And in a way, we should. But we can't ever forget the lessons we claim to have learned. That's why I plan on seeing Flight 93. I don't want to forget.

The controversy surrounding the movie doesn't suprise me in the least. People who have seen the trailers complained that they weren't prepared for this type of movie, that it was too soon.

I think it's coming just in the nick of time.

What happened on Flight 93 illustrates what is happening here in America. The first 3 flights that were hijacked and flown into the Trade Centers and the Pentagon happened within a relatively short period of time from one another. The passengers on these flights most likely had little time to react and in all likihood, didn't know other planes were also being hijacked.

Flight 93 was different. Being the last plane to be hijacked and apparently being some distance from its' target, the passengers had time to call home and find out what was happening in America. They had advance warning and realized the imminent danger that they faced. They almost certainly knew that they faced death and they chose to go out fighting, knowing that though they would probably die, they might spare the lives of countless others. They looked terror and evil in the eye and understood that they could not stand by and do nothing. They stood and fought, using whatever resources they had. Though they all died, they did prevent an even greater act of terrorism and gave us all a little bit of hope despite the tragedy. They became our heroes that day.

Today, we as Americans face a similar choice. The acts of terror on September 11, 2001, caught us all by surprise. We had little time to react and we did not understand what was happening. Nearly 5 years later, however, I wonder if we have learned our lesson. We now have volumes of information at our disposal that clearly shows us that our country and freedom is under attack. The terrorists responsible for the attacks on September 11th, would like nothing better than to hit us again, even harder. We know what they have done in the past. We know they have plans to do more harm. The question is, how will we respond? Will we sit back and do nothing, hoping that those who wish to harm us will simply forget as we have forgotten? Or do we stand up, use all the resources at our disposal and fight to the end like the passengers of Flight 93? Do we have their courage? Have we really learned our lesson?

4 comments:

janice said...

America has forgotten. What I remember about the days following was the eerie silence, absent the sounds of planes overhead. I too will be in the theater on opening day. Great post Christina

SkyePuppy said...

And I'll be going to the movies to see it too.

Christina said...

Janice and Skyepuppy,

Thanks for your comments.

Part of me knows that this movie will be really tough to see. I don't usually cry at movies, but I suspect I will this time. I did when I watched the A&E movie about the flight (Which was well-done also.)

If either of you gets to see it before I do (which is quite likely) let me know what you thought.

Malott said...

Great post.

But then, great posts are getting to be a habit of yours.