The Right Perspective

Friday, April 28, 2006

The Anti-Gardener Series: Where to Begin?

I took some pictures of my weed garden (Umm...I meant flower beds) and thought that I would share. Mainly, I am shamelessly begging the more creative, skilled gardeners out there to help me figure out what to do to transform these weed-and-bug-infested areas of dirt into a pleasant, LOW-MAINTENANCE landscape. As you can see, I need help! (This is the smallest, best-looking part.) Also, be sure to note the massive "Supervisor Cat" keeping tabs of me from the window!



The second picture is the worst area. The flower beds on this side of the house are all about 7 feet deep (maybe more) and run longer than my 24 foot tape measure. The area between the two garage windows is all weeds except for the small clump of lilies that are centered in the flower bed between the windows. Everything else is weeds. We like the bushes and the lilies, but othewise, the area is a mess. Any ideas for what to put behind the clump of lilies and the bushes? In front? Also keep in mind that contrary to the way the picture looks, the entire area in front of the house receives very little sun, some parts being entirely in the shade.


The third picture is the area right beside the front step. Though I don't object to the two shrubs flanking the large rock, they are both looking decidedly unhealthy on the side facing the house. (They have a matching, but much healthier, pair on the other side of the steps.) The rock is heavy, but could be moved. Nothing except weeds (to my knowledge grows here.)

There is more (much more, still in the front of the house, down one side and in the back yard....sigh) but I'll start here. I have already decided I want mulch (though any and all tips on the type are welcome) and would like a bird bath or fountain or pond or bench somewhere, just to take up some space. I am also considering hostas bordering the sidewalk, interspersed with lantern-style walkway lights. At least that's what I'm thinking now...I'm curious to hear any and all suggestions and ideas. PLEASE!!

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

I have a special talent for growing weeds, so I speak as a kindred spirit.

At my previous house, I took two of the little six-packs of Lobelia (darkish green leaves with small purple flowers) and planted them between the sidewalk and the house (about two feet deep in shade). I put six in front and six in back, staggered, and in a short time (as plants count time), they filled in almost solid. Very few weeds came up, and the ones that did were easy to spot and pull out.

Someday, when I get some time for it, I plan on trying it in the front of my house (mostly sun) and see if it works there.

I'm not sure how Lobelia does in Indiana, where the weather gets genuinely cold (it can get down into the high 20's here at night in the winter).

Also, if you mulch, be sure to put down some really thick black plastic first.

Best of luck!

Malott said...

Move.

Leave the cat.