The Right Perspective

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New Normal

Adjusting to life with two kids is going fairly well, but it's still an adjustment. Some days, Ethan is so quiet that I can almost forget he's here for a few minutes. Other days, there's definitely no forgetting.

We are quite seriously considering the possibility that little brother has a milk/dairy intolerance. Every time I have something with obvious dairy (ice cream/cheese for example) he spends hours with his little legs drawn up, screaming in what seems like pain. I got suspicious after I had ice cream one day and he spent the next 7 hours or so screaming. It was such a change in behavior that I knew something was hurting him. I tried cutting out dairy (which is much much harder than I would have expected) and then a few days ago, I had one slice of cheese on a sandwich and just like before, he spent the evening screaming. It was the same kind of experience that we had with Emily when she had colic; hours of uncontrollable screaming, a completely inconsolable baby in pain and two very frazzled parents. I was in tears just praying that this wasn't the start of another 3 month round of colic.

Thankfully, it seems like we're dealing with more of a dairy issue, which while challenging and frustrating, at least can be fixed. It's a new normal for me, as almost every single thing that I cook involves some sort of cheese, milk or butter (or all three) and nearly every convenience/pre-packaged food has milk ingredients. It's a bit overwhelming during an already overwhelming change to have to spend so much time and effort reading labels and trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. I have to admit that I'm rather afraid of accidentally eating something that will hurt Ethan, not to mention the fact that I feel sort of guilty thinking that Em probably had a similar problem (although she also definitely had colic) and I didn't realize it.

So, that's our update for now. If anyone has any good milk/cheese free recipes that they want to share, feel free...I'm going to need them, as well as any prayers you can spare. Nothing sounds quite so good as that which is totally off-limits!

4 comments:

Dina said...

Oh that sure is though to try and manage not to eat cheese or dairy and also cook dairy/cheese free.

I had a quick look on the internet and found this site, maybe you can have a look at it. http://www.dairyfreecooking.about.com

Malott said...

C,

I've given this some thought, and I think you should go totally Mexican... Lots of refried beans, salsa, chips, and those hot little banana pepper rings. Ethan looks Hispanic, and you should try dipping his pacifier in taco sauce, mild at first, and maybe play mariachi music during his feedings.

Let me know if this helps.

Bekah said...

WOW. You are my hero. I don't think I could do it...since I can't even make it past coffee without adding dairy. Bless your heart!!! I don't think I have much that would help you, but if I find something, I'll sure let you know!

And we need to set up a day for me to come meet the little guy and SEE MY FRIEND CHRISTINA.

Christina said...

Dina, thanks for the website. I'll have to take a look when I get a chance. I think I will be cooking a lot of plain foods for the foreseeable future. Oh well.

Chris, I'll make a deal with you. I'll eat the Mexican food, feed Ethan and then drop him off to stay with you for a few hours. I'm pretty sure that would help!

Bekah, after searching through super Target and Walmart, I'm thoroughly depressed with my dairy-free options. It's sad when you want to cry while grocery shopping because of such limited options. As for the visit, I'd love to see you. Of course, I would love for you NOT to see my house right now. It is seriously a disaster...not just a mess. When Peter and Jenny have their baby (end of Aug/early Sep) we will be coming down to visit them and maybe we can meet then. You are, of course, always welcome here, but since we will be headed your way in the near future, maybe that would work too. Let me know and I'll give you a call sometime too.