The Right Perspective

Friday, November 21, 2008

Prop 8 and Hate

Let me make a statement: I am sick and tired of being called "hateful" by people who don't know me at all. Not even a little bit.

In fact, if the same people who call me "hateful" knew me, they would know that I don't even ever use the word "hate" in relationship to people because I know the Biblical definition of "hate" and since I do not wish anyone to die, I don't say it.

Today, over on Malott's Blog, I was called "hateful" for my comments about the homosexual lifestyle and the pushy agenda of the homosexual activists. So, let me state for the record how I feel and why I feel that way.

I, in no way, shape or form, hate any homosexuals. I have never been physically or verbally violent to a homosexual. I have never spewed threats or misinformation about homosexuals. I have, in fact, never treated them any differently than another other heterosexual person. Nor will I.

So how can I be called "hateful"?

Let me tell you.

I am considered to be "hateful" by homosexual activists who are angry that I will not condone, endorse or accept their chosen lifestyle. I am considered to be "hateful" because I call the homosexual lifestyle a sin. (Which, by the way, would also make Jesus Christ "hateful" by this standard.)

The Bible says, in I Corinthians 6:9-10, "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually imoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

No matter how you interpret this, the homosexual lifestyle is wrong in the eyes of God. It is a sin. It is not a sin any worse than any other, but it is still a sin and as such, it will, by God's own definition, separate us from Him.

The good news is that the passage above goes on to say, in verse 11, "And that is what some of you were. [sinners] But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." We've all sinned, in some way or another, but with salvation through Christ, we can be reconciled to God once again, despite our sins.

However, the passage does not say that we should condone sinful behavior. Instead it warns Christians against being "deceived" into believing that we can be tolerant of sinful behavior and still belong to God.

How then, can I be a good Christian, one who believes the Bible as the inspired word of God, and tolerate and accept a behavior that I know would separate a person from God? Is it loving or hateful to want a person to spend an eternity in heaven with God? Is it loving or hateful to go along with the crowd and allow thousands of men and women to fall into sinful lifestyles without saying a word against it? Is it loving or hateful to stand up against sinful behavior in order to prevent more people from being deceived and lulled into a false sense of security?

I truly, from the core of my being, believe that homosexuality is wrong and that it is a dangerous and risky lifestyle that puts many lives at risk. I firmly believe that it is not in the best interest of children to be raised by two dads or two moms. It is well documented that the homosexual lifestyle is risky to one's health. So why would I stand back and allow others to go down this destructive path without sounding a warning? Isn't it more compassionate, and therefore loving, to try to prevent others from being hurt?

And so this is why I am called "hateful" when I (and many, many others) take a stand against homosexuality, and especially legislation that attempts to force this lifestyle choice in my face again and again. Over and over again, homosexual activists try to enact legislation that will force the rest of us to accept their choices, even when those choices are harmful and destructive. Time and again, these activists call us hateful for taking a stand for what we believe in. Just like when the majority speaks, as in the case of Calif. Prop. 8, and we vote against homosexual legislation, we are called "hateful".

I, for one, am sick of it and I'm not going to sit back and just be silent anymore. Sometimes the truth offends. Sometimes the truth is not what we want to hear. But just because a minority is offended, this does not make me "hateful".

So I have this to say...if the homosexual activists want to call me names and pretend that I am a bigot or hateful, fine. It doesn't make it true. And if they keep pushing their sinful lifestyle in my face and down my throat, fine go ahead, but don't expect me to sit back and take it without a fight. I'm ready to fight and so are a lot of others. So give it your best shot but be ready for the rest of us "hateful" people. We love you so much, we'll fight to keep you from destroying yourselves and society.

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

That's it exactly!

Bekah said...

Christina - My friend Kari and I have been studying Psalm 119 together, and when we were doing the 153-160 stanza the other night, she found this verse (158 I think) in the Message:

I took one look at the quitters and was filled with loathing;
they walked away from your promises so casually!

We both thought of this post when we read it. People (especially those who have had a public relationship with the Lord) just walk away from what the Word says and they do it in such a casual manner that others think it really must not be a big deal.

Anyway - just wanted you to know we thought of your words when we studied!!!

janice said...

Outstanding!

You speak for me too, Christina!