The Right Perspective

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Toddler-Talk Test

As I've mentioned before, my two-and-a-half year old has some speech problems. Thankfully, with a lot of prayer, time and a wonderful new speech therapist, Emily is starting to talk and it can be quite interesting. She is trying all kinds of new words every day which is tremendously encouraging, but sometimes those words don't quite come out with the traditional pronunciation, leading to quite the battle to figure out the word before she gets so frustrated that she quits trying to say it. (Thankfully her stubborn persistent nature is an asset in this.)

So I thought that I'd list a few of the more unusual words and see if my readers can guess what they mean. I'll spell them phonetically to help.

~beebe
~sad
~peetee (not what you're thinking)
~pint (short "i" sound there)
~bid
~rotting
~boo
~yeyo
~otay
~fah-tsa
~chichen
~tinky
~pah-put
~bah-bees
~pity
~mitch (our personal favorite)

Good luck!

Update:

Here are the answers to yesterday's toddler-talk test. Thanks to all who played...Many of you got a few correct, so kudos to you~! The highest scorer was Skyepuppy with 6 correct and Bekah in a close second with 5.

~beebe........Blankie, but it sounds very similar to her version of Baby too
~sad.....Slide (like sliding board) but can also mean Sad (that one confused daddy pretty badly one night!
~peetee....Cookie. (Yeah, that one took us quite a while, but she can't say hard "c" or "k" sounds yet, so she substitutes.)
~pint....Pink
~bid....Big ("g" sounds are tough too)
~rotting....Rocking. Sometimes she tells me "done rotting, mama" before bed. So Chris wasn't far off...
~boo...Blue. Blended sounds are hard too.
~yeyo....Yellow
~otay...Okay. Yep, we have our own little Buckwheat!
~fah-tsa...Pizza. Sometimes if a sound is hard for her, she'll make the hard sound, but substitute an incorrect sound for one she can usually make like "f" for "p".
~chichen...this is usually Chicken (sometimes paired with "nunnets" or nuggets), but can also be Kitchen
~tinky....Stinky
~pah-put.....Pocket
~bah-bees....Bubbles
~pity....Pretty
~mitch....Book. Why? We haven't a clue, but it's pretty funny to hear her running around looking for her "mitches"!

Now, who's ready to come babysit?

7 comments:

Bekah said...

Oh this is the perfect break from my reports!!!! (Which, if I keep doing them, might lead me to speaking her language on a permanent basis.) Here are my guesses -
* beebe - baby?
* sad - not sure what to guess
* peetee - no fair guessing because you told me that one last week.
* pint - can't?
* bid - bed?
* rotting - rocking?
* boo - not sure
* yeyo - I want to say yellow but that's probably not it
* otay - what, that's not a word? i say that one! If it's not okay, though, I don't know.
* fah-tsa - what half my parents and students call the FAFSA, but I'm going to REALLY hope she doesn't know about that at 2 1/2
* chichen - kitchen?
* tinky - stinky?
* pah-put - carpet?
* bah-bees - puppies?
* pity - kitty?
* mitch - no clue but can't wait to see!!

Christina said...

Bekah,

You did get a couple, though I won't say which ones just yet to keep it fair. I'm glad I could give you a little break!

Thanks for playing!

Bekah said...

Right now my eyes are swimming in a "how high is your gpa and how many hours did you take this year?" report....MAMA!

SkyePuppy said...

Here are my guesses. Just assume a question mark at the end of all of them...

~beebe - baby
~sad - sad
~peetee -
~pint -
~bid - bed
~rotting -
~boo - book
~yeyo - yellow
~otay - okay
~fah-tsa - faster
~chichen - kitchen
~tinky - stinky
~pah-put - paw print
~bah-bees - puppies
~pity - pretty
~mitch -

OK. That's it for me.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I only have guesses for some...

-beebe (baby?)
~yeyo (yellow?)
~otay (OK?)
~fah-tsa (faster?)
~chichen (chicken?)
~tinky (binky?)
~pah-put (papa?)
~bah-bees (bottles?)
~pity (pretty?)

Fun, fun, fun! Glad she's showing you all she's thinking about! *wink*

Malott said...

beebe... baby
sad... Daddy
peetee... Uncle Peter
pint... please
bid... bread
rotting... Mommy
boo... soon
yeyo... again
otay... OK
fah tsa... faster
chichen... chicken
tinky... tinkle
pah put... grandpa
bah bees...Mom, please
pity... also Uncle Peter
mitch... Uncle Chris

Bekah said...

oooh!! Pick me!!! I loved sitting for her before! She's fun! ;) Miss you!