The Right Perspective

Friday, February 16, 2007

Check Your Peanut Butter!

This is probably old news for most of my 6-or-so readers, but just in case you've managed to miss it...the FDA is recalling Peter Pan and Great Value (Walmart) brands of peanut butter due to the risk of contamination by Salmonella.

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.

Symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella include fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. In persons with poor underlying health or weakened immune systems, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause life-threatening infections. Individuals who have recently eaten Peter Pan and Great Value brand peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 and have experienced any of these symptoms should contact their doctor or health care provider immediately. Any such illnesses should be reported to state or local health authorities.

FDA's warning is based on a just-completed epidemiological study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the states and local health agencies, which links 288 cases of foodborne illness in 39 states to consumption of varying types of Peter Pan peanut butter. This report was provided to FDA on February 13."

As a result, I will now be throwing out the remainder of the Great Value brand peanut butter from my pantry. (I normally buy Peter Pan, but Walmart was out...go figure!) No one here got sick, thank goodness, but I'd still rather not play with fire on this one.

Now go check your peanut butter before you forget!

4 comments:

janice said...

I heard this on the last news broadcast before I turned the radio off last night.

But, on your command, I went and checked my peanut butter. And you'll be happy to hear all my jars of Jif are fine.

Christina said...

I'm glad you checked anyway. I just really can't afford to lose any of my valued readers and favorite fellow bloggers!

Bekah said...

Christina - Well last night after my flat tire adventure, after running into my brief dating guy from this summer, after a phone call from Matt, after Meredith's potential demise on Grey's anatomy, THEN I learned I've guzzled 3/4 of a jumbo jar of potentially salmonella laden PB. And what's worse? Dad's valentine's day present from me was peanut butter fudge made from another 2111 jar. Nothing says "I love you Dad" like a little salmonella!!! Needless to say I bypassed the Mary Kay eye makeup remover and just removed it myself through natural means!

SkyePuppy said...

We're safe. We eat Skippy.