The Right Perspective

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fear Itself

There's an awful lot of reporting about the H1N1 flu and vaccine, and just as much debate. Everyone has an opinion, and their reason for it; even people I hold in high regard are weighing in on the vaccine debate and to be honest, I'm just plain torn.

I normally think that people like Rush Limbaugh are pretty level-headed when talking about media-wrought panics and I typically agree with their assessments, but this time, I just don't know what to think.

For example, I've heard many generally intelligent people say that they absolutely will not get the H1N1 vaccine...no way, no how, it's too new, it's untested, it may cause more harm than good. I probably would not be inclined to get the vaccine either, especially since I'm not (by myself) in a high-risk group.

However, I don't live in a bubble. Because I have an infant, I am in a very high-risk group and it is strongly recommended that I vaccinate myself and my family...everyone but Ethan because he is too young. We know for sure that Emily has already been exposed to H1N1 at her preschool and today marks seven days since the confirmed cases started exhibiting symptoms. Emily has been hacking up a lung since Sunday and has had a low-grade fever (99-100.2) every day as well. She "seems" okay otherwise, but I find myself checking her fever several times a day because I know that our area has been having a bit of an outbreak of flu cases, and this includes one very fast death of an other-wise healthy 11 year old girl. I don't panic easily, but quite frankly, that scares me.

I don't want to give in to the panic, but I don't know what to think about this vaccine and all the media hoopla isn't really helping. As a parent, I can't imagine making the choice NOT to
vaccinate and then having one of my kids get sick and heaven-forbid something worse, but on the other hand, I generally try to err on the side of caution with new vaccines/medicines. It feels like a darned if you do/darned if you don't kind of choice.

Add to this that even if I wanted the H1N1 vaccine, it's not available, and when it is, Emily will require two shots, spaced some amount of time apart, and then full immunity is not achieved for about another 3 weeks. What happens if she contracts H1N1 somewhere between those doses? I have so many questions, but so few answers and I don't like living in a constant state of worry.

Can we just skip straight to spring/summer and bypass this flu season altogether?

1 comment:

Malott said...

I know the media is exaggerating the danger because it is good for ratings. The medical community isn't terribly worked up about it.

I think parents and the elderly should do the same thing they should do every flu season... Carry hand sanitizer... Avoid crowds. Don't be overly affectionate at church... Think.

I'd go to: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/general_info.htm -only- for my information.

Don't know about the vaccine. I feel sort of obligated since I'm sometimes around immunosuppressed patients. If I do take it, and end up growing an extra nose... I'll call you.