The Right Perspective

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So....

Here's the deal, for all you inquiring minds who want to know....and even if you don't want to know!

I had my final OB appt. today. It's always encouraging to hear each and every nurse that you see ask why you're still there. "Umm, if it was up to me, I wouldn't be!" The receptionist said, when I checked in, "I assume you haven't moved in the last week". I replied that the only move I was planning on was into the hospital across the street. She laughed. I am quite serious.

I saw the same sadistic (did I say that out loud?) Dr. that I saw last week, much to my discouragement. After doing a thorough check of everything up to my tonsils, she declared me to be 2cm dilated, but not effaced at all. "Teapot" (as we've all grown accustomed to calling him) is still hanging out up high, thus not doing the work he needs to help this process along. So I told the doctor that I was concerned that he was either not head down or possibly too big. She suggested we go check on both possibilities. So off to the ultrasound machine we went.

"Teapot" is indeed head down, but not "locked and loaded", so to speak. He is also getting rather big. The current estimate, based on the ultrasound measurements, is 8 lbs. 11 oz. Emily was 7 lbs. 12 oz. at birth (which is approximately the same time as "teapot" will be cooking.)

YIKES!!

So the doctor asked if I wanted to set a date to induce. I did and she thought that was a good plan. She said she didn't want to schedule for tomorrow, as she was on call and had 4 deliveries scheduled already. I was fine with that (Hallelujah!!) But the plan is to be admitted Thursday evening to start the festivities, then actually begin the induction on Friday morning. I have a feeling it will be a long night Thursday...and perhaps a rough day Friday. I'm not a wimp. I had Emily without so much as a dose of tylenol, and her birth also included Pitocin (used to induce, though I was already in labor with her). However, I spent the vast majority (about 70%) of labor with her at home, walking around and keeping busy. To the best of my knowledge, I'll probably be stuck in bed (the most uncomfortable place) for the duration of this labor, so who knows how this will go. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I know it's a good possibility.

So, with any luck, by sometime Friday, baby boy who will have a name, will be here safe and sound. Pray for us. It should be interesting.

7 comments:

Malott said...

C,

You are a brave pioneer woman... That's why my family loves you for the treasure you are!

God keep you... I know your children will rise up and call you blessed. You're that kind of gal!

Hang in there, Tiger!

Bekah said...

Boy it is baby week! The birth I'm going to...is anytime this week as well. So I'm headed to bed to stock up on sleep in case I should receive a call at 3 in the morning telling me to get to the hospital. So I'll be doing much praying for the both of you this week!! YOU CAN DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Dina said...

Oh dear, I will be praying for you and teapot :) .

It's funny how the first time you go to hospital to give birth you don't know what to expect and go in full on and full of bravery......the second time you go in because you have to go in and you know that baby has to come out , but I cannot tell you how terrified I am this time round !!!

May God be with you xx

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Fingers crossed...waiting to hear...We're leaving Thursday afternoon for camping so I'll try to check in Saturday!

janice said...

I guess my prediction date was incorrect. Maybe I'll get a prize for guessing the weight.

Praying for you and your family, Christina. Hang in there, it'll be over soon and you'll be home with a NAMED little guy.

Tsofah said...

Praying that Christina has a smooth delivery and will be able to walk and move around during labor and not be bed bound. Also praying the labor and delivery will be quick.

Praying "Teapot" will have a great name like Michael or David or Daniel or Scott or...even Chris! (gasp! did I just write that?).

;-)

Many prayers and blessings to you and your hubby and your new son!


I was thinking of

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Sooooo.....it's been nearly a week.....where are you and baby boy?????? :P: