The Right Perspective

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

7-17-09

Ethan Paul has officially arrived!

Okay, so it was technically 4 days ago, but this is the first chance I've really had to post the facts and details. I'd love to post some of the pictures we took, but either my computer or Blogger is causing problems, so I'll have to try some other options.

Anyhow, Ethan was born at 6:05 on July 17, 2009, weighing in at 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 20 inches long. He is perfect and has a full head of long dark hair. So far, he is a very sleepy, quiet baby (something to which we are definitely not accustomed.)

We went in to the hospital on Thursday night (the 16th) to begin the induction process. Around 9:00 pm., the festivities began. By 10:30, the medication that was being used that "sometimes" can cause contractions to begin was working a little too well and causing me to have contractions that were literally one on top of the other, with no break. So, although I was supposed to have the medication all night, at midnight, the nurse came back in and stopped it because the contractions were coming too quickly to be safe. They continued, well throughout the night. I have to admit, it was a pretty rough start. I finally was able to fall asleep around 5:00 am., once the contractions had spaced out to around 4 minutes apart. At 7:30 am., I was supposed to be started on pitocin to start contractions, but I was still having them too close together for it to be safe to use pitocin. So, I was officially dilated to about 3-4 cm and in "active" labor. (Yeah, no kidding).

The doctor broke my water around 9:00 am. to speed things along and contractions continued usually around every 2-3 minutes. It was no fun. By this time with Emily, I had had her. This labor was definitely longer and much, much harder. I walked around the halls, the room, rocked in the rocking chair, did a couple crossword puzzles with Andrew and read a little. Basically anything to keep my mind off of feeling lousy. By around 3:00 pm, I was absolutely miserable. I felt far worse than I ever did throughout the entire labor and delivery with Emily. The doctor checked me and told me that I was only 6 cm. I was unbelieveably disappointed. Although I had no intention of using and pain medications, I knew that I wasn't going to make it much longer without something, and at the rate I was going, it could still be a while. So I opted for the Nubain iv meds. I don't know if that stuff works for anyone, but it certainly did nothing at all for me except make me feel dizzy and a little out of it.

And so it was that the epidural and the anesthesiologist and I became friends. And having had a completely natural and pretty easy labor and then a long hard labor with an epidural, I'd have to say, I don't regret the epidural one tiny little bit. I was terrified of the whole thought of a needle/catheter in my spine, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I was exhausted and in some pretty serious non-stop pain for 18 hours...and so the epidural was a wonderful thing. Within a couple of minutes, it was placed (pretty painlessly, I might add) and then I was blissfully pain-free. This was around 4:00 pm. Friday. The doctor went to do a c-section and then said that when she came back, I'd probably be ready for delivery.

The next two hours went quickly and MUCH more pleasantly. That epidural was pretty darn amazing. When the doctor came back, it was time to push...and so I did for about 20-30 minutes, painfree, and Ethan was born, healthy and happy, after a total of about 20 hours of labor.

Did I mention that he's perfect? Recovery this time has been a breeze. I actually feel better than I did before he was born. I have a bit of a backache, maybe due to the epidural, but otherwise, no complaints. Now, we just have to adjust to being a family of four. Emily is doing really well with the changes. She's sleeping in a different room this week because Grammy, Pop-pop and Aunt Kathy are here, helping. This alone, usually throws her for a huge loop, but so far, so good. She doesn't really want to hold little "bwuddew", but she does like to give him his pacifier and kiss his head.

And finally, since I can't post any of our candid shots for some reason, I will send you to a website where you can see some pictures that were taken in the hospital.

The website is www.traditionsphotography.com . Once there, click on the "hospital newborns" tab on the right, then the online gallery. Find the picture of Ethan H. and click on it...then use the password "Teapot".

Thanks for all the prayers and support, they meant a lot!

6 comments:

Bekah said...

YAY!!!!! I was beyond anxious to hear all these details!! :) I did cheat and asked someone at work who goes to church with Bill and Lisa to at least tell me the name. :) I am SO glad he's here, YAY for epidurals, YAY for you feeling better, and I cannot WAIT to come up and meet him! I mean, I WILL wait, but I can't wait. Say hi to your parents and Kathy from me...and congratulations!! :)

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, he's adorable! And Ethan is a MUCH better name than Gunther.

Dina said...

Well done and so glad this is over for you now. I love the name you chose , well done for that too.
It will be my turn within 5 weeks :)!!
Can't wait to see the photos of your new baby. take care and congratulations .

janice said...

Oh Christina, we were wondering when we'd get the scoop. Congrats to you and your family!

I'm glad all went well and Ethan is heathy.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Wa-HOO! Welcome Ethan - can't wait to see ya in Momma's pictures!

Bryan Alexander said...

Congratulations!!!