The Right Perspective

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Well, I hear it was Memorial Day yesterday, but it sure wasn't one to remember around here.

Why? You ask.

Three reasons:

1. Cold with persistent annoying coughing that will not go away.

2. Strep Throat

3. Acute Bacterial Conjunctivitis

Emily is the one with the cold. Mostly, the cough is just annoying the heck out of her and waking her up for hours at night.

I am the lucky winner of numbers 2 and 3. I spent Saturday evening in the Medpoint Urgent Care center (where I swear they had the heat blasting) with a pink oozing eye and a very sore throat. When the doctor finally got to me (about 15 minutes before closing time), she quickly diagnosed acute conjunctivitis or pink eye (which I've never before had) and then I got to do the throat culture for strep throat, which I've also never had before. The rapid test came back negative, but the doctor prescribed antibiotics anyhow since I had all the symptoms and because, at 33+ weeks pregnant, I am far more susceptible to infections and they don't mess around.

So, starting Sunday morning, I've been taking antibiotic eye drops for my nasty oozing eye. (Seriously, my right eye would be glued shut in the morning and it would take literally prying my eyelids apart to open it.) I've also been taking Amoxicillin for the strep throat. And tylenol for pain....and the occasional sudafed for sinus pressure.

Thankfully, my eye seems to be much better (though it should be after using the eyedrops every two hours). My throat feels somewhat better today (so far), but my head is still pounding and I have a lot more days of antibiotics to get through.

Hope you all had a nicer Memorial Day weekend. As for me, I guess there's always next year.

And have I mentioned that we're down to only 6 more weeks of this pregnancy? I can make it, right?

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

I tend to get pinkeye fairly easily, because I have a condition with my eyelids that makes my eyelashes fall out more than usual (at least, that's what the ophthalmologist who wished he had been an architect told me).

I just keep the sulfa drops on hand all the time, and when it feels like I might be maybe getting pinkeye again, I hit my eyes with the drops, and I'm good to go.

Don't throw away the eyedrops when your eyes get better. Just in case...

By the way, I keep wishing your countdown displayer was the one for Obama leaving office.

Still keeping you in prayer.