The Right Perspective

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why I Love America

It's Tax Day....and better yet, Tea Party Day!
I live in a section of Indiana that is overwhelmingly liberal Catholic and Democrat. It's kind of an anomaly here, but nevertheless, it's where I live. So naturally, I wasn't sure what kind of turnout there would be for the local tea party planned for the downtown area.
Emily and I did not actually participate, in part because she's 4.5 years old and I'm 7 months pregnant and it's barely 50 degrees, and mostly because well, Emily just isn't old enough to get it and I don't have the energy or patience to try to keep her out of the streets!
Anyhow, we did head downtown to bring lunch to Daddy and to see what the crowd looked like. I first drove by around 11:30 am. (the party was scheduled to begin at 11:00). It was cloudy and barely 45 degrees, but there were at least a hundred people holding signs and respectfully protesting on the courthouse steps. I was impressed, but wondered if this was the biggest the crowd would get, as it might be full of those on their lunch break. However, when we drove back by around 2:00, the crowd was even bigger. It was nice to see.
I really liked some of the signs I was reading like:
Taxed
Enough
Already
and
We'll Keep Our Dollars and
You Can Keep Your "Change"!
By the way, please excuse the lousy pictures. I was taking them at the stoplight before turning onto the street and one, while driving by. Don't try this at home, kids!

There was patriotic music playing and people of all ages were out.


And even though this picture is blurry, I could still read a great sign with an Obama slogan twist:

"Can We Bankrupt This Country?
Yes We Can!"

Of course, we all know these people are just a bunch of Right Wing Extremists who are super dangerous to America, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Forget about those nasty Muslim terrorists who fly planes of innocent people into buildings full of more innocent people. These peaceful protesters are far more of a threat!






2 comments:

Malott said...

You have to love the slogans!

It takes so much to get Conservatives out on the street... We're just not the protesting type... And we have jobs and responsibilities. So, I think the numbers are pretty impressive!

Bekah said...

I'm impressed with your picture/driving skills! :)

Hey - I just emailed you about next weekend.