The Right Perspective

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Signs of Life

I love Spring. May is perhaps my very favorite month, but April is when spring really starts around my neck of the woods. The threat of snow nearly every day is over and the weather starts to slowly warm up (it's a lovely 65 degrees right now...woohooo!!!). But my favorite part of spring? Without question, it's the magical moment when I wake up one day, look outside and there is suddenly color again, in all the places where everything has been brown and gray for so many long months.


Last fall, I actually remembered to plant the spring bulbs I bought. I'd never tried growing anything from just a bulb, so I was curious to see if anything would happen. Apparently, there is hope! Now if only I could remember what I planted...I think this might be the beginnings of a hyacinth, but I'm not sure.



The above picture is of some tulips of varied colors and styles that I do remember planting. If memory serves, I planted around 65 bulbs last fall, and as of today's count, I could see 44 plants starting to poke up out of the ground. I'm still hopefuly for a few more that are just buried under a thicker layer of mulch. I planted the bulbs all along the edges of the flower beds, closest to the sidewalk, so hopefully there will be an explosion of colors in the next few weeks.


And finally, the dogwood trees in our front yard have buds...which means leaves and in this case, flowers, will soon follow! I miss leaves. I miss green. I miss colors....but not for much longer.

No comments: