The Right Perspective

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Emily's Rainy Day Field Trip

Emily's preschool class took a bus ride to a local county park this morning. After a gorgeous weekend with sun and temperatures in the 80's, today, when we were slated to go on a nature walk and play on the playground, it was rainy with temperatures around 50 and generally miserable. Much of our field trip was spent inside, looking at various bugs and animal skins, with a not-quite-short-enough, but wet nature walk.
The above picture is of Miss Em in a very dangerous pose indeed....raising her hand, ready to say something. No one, least of all her parents, have any idea what will come out of that mouth (and rather agile) brain. Sometimes, like at the trip to the firehouse last week, she volunteers that she doesn't clean up her toys like Mommy asks her to. Today, she only mentioned that she had seen a ladybug at Grandma and "Crapaw's" house this weekend. (Someone else had talked about ladybugs.)

The next picture is of Em, very interested in whatever little bug the park lady was showing. It was nice to see that she can actually sit still and pay attention from time to time.


There were lots of animal skins to touch and feel. Emily is holding the skunk. Unfortunately, Mom is not too great with the camera. I only got the backside of the skunk. I'm quite certain that she is telling her best friend Madison all there is to know about the small but mighty skunk....or something.




Emily and Madison, touching some other dead animal that I can't identify. She seemed to enjoy it.




And finally, the way our sweet child could be seen the majority of the time....sniffing the dead carcasses...just in case they might smell. Lovely, no? I think this might have been a coyote. Quite the delicate little flower we're raising here.




5 comments:

Bekah said...

Christina, I just love Emily. I wish we lived closer so she could crack me up in person a lot more. I l-o-v-e the story about crapaw and i super de duper l-o-v-e the smelling of the carcass. WHO DOES SHE GET THIS STUFF FROM??? I think maybe you should blame Peter. (shoot, does he read this? Is he going to hate me now?)

Christina said...

Oh trust me, we blame Peter. I'm not sure how we ended up with the kid he "earned", but somehow, I think we did. It will be fitting if he ends up with a little Andrew Jr.

"Crapaw" is one of my personal favorites, along with "fuhwidgawataw" (refrigerator).

So what kind of computer did you end up with?

SkyePuppy said...

My entire goal for my son for kindergarten was that he would learn to sit still and raise his hand before speaking. I didn't care about anything else (he taught himself to read at 3-1/2, so that wasn't an issue). Kindergarten was a success for him.

But his teacher told us that on the first day of school, when she was "reading" a book to the class (she had it memorized and kept the book facing the kids). At one point, my son spoke up with, "THAT'S not what it says!" That was how the teacher learned that he could read.

Emily strikes me as being that kind of kid. LOTS of fun!!!

Bekah said...

It's a toshiba. It's pretty cute, but not quite as stylin' as yours. :)

You know, since you said you ended up with the kid Peter earned...come to think of it, I think my sister got the kid I earned. (Which I like to view as a positive thing.) Hmmmm wonder which sister's earned kid I'll end up getting?? ;)

janice said...

"Quite the delicate little flower we're raising here"

Maybe she's practicing so she can help that little boy learn all the outdoor, smelly skins, small bug and animal pelt things little boys just LOVE!