The Right Perspective

Friday, April 04, 2008

Kneeling at the Porcelain Throne




Oh, there's really nothing quite as humbling as hugging the toilet. I spent all morning yesterday and all night last night doing just that, for two very different reasons.



I began yesterday feeling fine. So fine, that I tackled priming Emily's tiny bathroom. I must say, having to hug the toilet to paint around it is a special privilege. I even thought I might finish the whole job in one day (which for me, painting, is a record). But by afternoon, I wasn't feeling so perky. I waited until Andrew came home, ran to Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond to exchange some bathroom accessories that didn't match the paint as I had hoped and then grabbed some dinner for A and I at Chipotle (a great, very spicy Mexican restaurant). I wasn't very hungry, so I only ordered two soft tacos and a bag of chips. My stomach was feeling a little off, but I hadn't eaten much all day, I'd been breathing paint fumes and I just figured I had some acid churning around in there. Sometimes, food helps. Last night, it didn't.



By bedtime, I had a feeling it was going to be a long, uncomfortable night. I was right. I only stayed in bed for about 45 minutes at most. I just couldn't get comfortable. It was sort of like how I felt when I was in labor. Not terrible, but not comfortable either. Not super nauseous, but a little yucky. So I went downstairs to lay on the couch and watch a little tv in the hopes of distracting my brain enough that I could sleep through whatever was going on.



It wasn't to be. I kept feeling pukey, so I would get up, walk through the kitchen to the tiny half-bath and kneel at the toilet, accompanied by Bob the cat each time, falsely believing that she was going to be fed whenever I walked through the kitchen. But nothing happened. So after a while I would go back to the couch and try to rest some more.



But eventually, the urge to purge became too great, I knelt at the "porcelain throne" with Bob at my side, and prayed for it all to be over quickly. I hate vomiting. But there comes a point where what has gone in MUST come out and I begin to pray that it will happen quickly and completely in one effort. And so it did. And I felt better....and finally around 5:00 am, I drifted off to sleep curled up in the recliner.



Let's just say, it's going to be a long while before I eat at Chipotle again. I'm certain that it had nothing to do with my sickness, but still, it's lost all appeal to me for the time being, much to Andrew's great chagrin.



Then to top it all off, I'm almost positive that I am catching Emily's cold. My throat has that post-nasal-drip sore feeling. My glands are swollen and my eyes hurt.



Then again, at least I'm not puking anymore and just about anything is more bearable than that.

5 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, Christina! I feel for you. I caught a 24-hour flu bug one night after drinking hot tea, very sweet, around a camp fire, and I couldn't drink my tea sweet anymore or smell that after-fire damp charcoal smell without feeling a little nauseated.

And Chipotle is so good. What a pity.

SkyePuppy said...

Love that picture, by the way!

janice said...

Love the photo! Hope you're on the mend Christina.

Also, I'm glad you're back at the keyboard between musical gigs.

Malott said...

I'm sure the dog has learned this behavior form watching your worthless husband after he's been out all night on a toot. The drink has been the ruination of so many.

But it breaks my heart to see its effect upon a poor, dumb animal.

And the dog, too.

Bekah said...

Oh sweetie!! i feel horrible for you!! You were very nice to let Andrew sleep through it. I hate being sick SO much that I refuse to be alone when in such a state. My mother is SO glad i've moved out. Although I have been known to call home even at 2 in the morning for a little sympathy.

My niece was stricken with the flu this weekend while visiting her boyfriend at college. According to my sister, she got to spend the night in his bathroom at THAT throne. I can't imagine being sick in a boy's dorm. Wouldn't that make it worse?

Feel much much better, k???