The Right Perspective

Friday, October 05, 2007

Nightmares and No Naps, Need I Say More?

So I haven't been keeping up with this blog very well lately. It's not that there isn't plenty to comment on, particularly in the realm of politics, but the truth is, there's just too much going on in my own little world right now to think about the other stuff...and frankly speaking, when I do have a chance to relax, the last thing I want to think about or hear is another fight about anything. I just want to relax and laugh.

There's not much of an update to report. Emily is still not sleeping well. Every nap and bedtime is a forever-long battle with lots of tears all the way around. She hasn't been napping the last few days, or if she does, it's only for a short time followed by her waking up screaming and running from her room in a panic. We think she is having nightmares. She remembers waking up and being scared of "sounds" outside her window. (We know the streetsweeper and the trash trucks are loud, but that's been happening her entire life.)

When Emily wakes up like that, she is inconsolable. It's scary and unsettling. I hate having to leave her alone in her room at night, scared and panicky, but I also know that sleeping in her room would only delay the inevitable battle. So we continue to wage this battle a while longer.

Add to this that Emily is now also waking up with the sun (this, the child who has always slept in late) and we have one very tired girl. She is also stock-piling anything she can find that isn't nailed down in her room into her bed. Every day, I find old shoe boxes (with and without shoes), all the clothes she can find on her floor, probably 40 books (not exaggerating here) and various other things in her bed all piled up on and around her in her bed. This concerns me a little. I've never heard of this happening before and I'm not sure why she's doing it.

Of course, this leads me to the conclusion that it's probably time to mention this to the doctor, except that the doctor we've been seeing isn't the easiest person with which to talk. So, I called the office and asked to switch to someone else, just to see if we "click" any better. Now, we have an appointment on Nov. 1, to discuss our concerns, but I don't know if I can hold out much longer. We shall see....

In other Emily news, preschool is going fine, but she is having some separation anxiety (yet again....) I have a hard time with this. While I was always shy, I don't remember being upset about being away from my mom or dad, and neither of them were stay-at-home parents. Now, I spend nearly 100% of my time with Emily, and apparently it's still not enough, yet I know we would kill each other if I tried to homeschool. So we're gutting it out there, too. I know that battle won't take as long, though.

So, that's about it for now. Thanks so much to the ladies and gentleman who encouraged me in my last post. It's been hard to find time to myself to post, but I read your words and appreciated them. In the meantime, I'm just trying to keep going.

7 comments:

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Hey, sweetie...missed this post somehow...probably got "ate" by Bloglines, the Vikings, or DaHubby! *wink*

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but Flicka is a "hoard-er" too. Extensively so. DaHubby likens it to when he was single and had ferrets! LOL Stuff just seems to walk away! If it is left unattended and in reach, it's hers and we could find it WEEKS later stashed somewhere in her room.

Books, dolls, trinkets, "pretty-
ies," whatever. The more difficult battle here is convincing her not to take it all with us wherever we go! *sigh*

We've instituted a "one thing" rule: you may take one thing when we leave the house. Unfortunately, it is usually a purse jammed full of stuff but at that level it is STILL better than it was. And, on the down side, Pojke has started doing the same thing...cars, trucks, whatever in each hand as we leave the house.

Never anticipated it being a problem so never established the rule in the first place...now we're playing catch up. *sigh*

If you need to commiserate or need some company, we're about at the point where I could get everyone to behave long enough to come down and play! *wink* Think about it...if it wouldn't cause you even more stress, we'd love to finally come down and meet ya IRL!

Hang in there, girl! You are doing a GREAT job! God will uphold you, strengthen you, and guide you. Stay strong in Him! (((hugs)))

Bekah said...

here's a hug! love you!!!

Kathie said...

I found your blog while googling Ben Stein's speech and read this post. Oh my ~ sounds so familiar. Please have Emily checked for allergies! Even after we took my son off all dairy, he still had occasional "milk" days and "milk" nightmares. These are normal behaviors for a child with allergies. If you don't want to use the allergist, then start by taking her off all wheat and dairy. Hope this helps ~ Kathie

Christina said...

Thanks for visiting, Kathie.

That's an interesting thought, and one I would never have come up with on my own. We do have an appt. at the beginning of November with a new doctor, so I will bring it up then. At this point, I'm grasping at straws, so any new ideas are welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Christina said...

Bekah,

Hugs and love ya right back. Did you get my message last night? Now I know you were fending off creeps....Stay safe!

Christina said...

Beth,

Thanks so much for you comments. It's nice to know that I don't have the only "hoarder". That has gotten slightly better the last few days, at least to a more tolerable level. Sleep is still an issue though. Some nights I feel like I have a newborn again. UGH!!

I seriously would still love to meet sometime. Got any fun ideas, things you've been wanting to do? I'll give it some thought too and we can try to figure something out.

Thanks again!

Bekah said...

Yep i got it! My parents came over and by the time all that was over, I figured bedtime routine was in full swing. Got any good times later this week to chat? I miss you!