The Right Perspective

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Things That Make Me Go....AAAGGHH!!!

Here, in no particular order, are some things that make me want to shout AAAGGGHHHH!!

1. Cashiers who pick up a ringing telephone and take care of
that caller before attending to a live,
standing-there-in-person, waited-patiently-in- line customer.

2. Cashiers who, after mutely ringing up your purchases, turn the cash register display with your total to you, then as you are paying with a check, mutely hold out their hand for your license. This may seem insignificant, but a friendly, "Hi, how are you today?" and "Your total is..." and "May I please see your license?" is not too much to ask. I think the next time some cashier gives me the silent, impatient treatment when expecting my license, I'm going to say, "Oh, did you need my license? I didn't hear you ask for it."

3. The people who crowd the check-out area at the supermarket who, immediately after you have paid, think that they can stand virtually on top of you, regardless of how many bags you still need to pack in your cart. Space people...Space!

4. Telemarketers. Need I say more? But, especially the ones who are selling something that I would possibly support, just not over the phone. Take for instance, the Christian video company who has called twice now. How they got my number (I'm on the FABULOUS do-not-call list) I'll never know. Now, I'd love to support them someday, just not right now. However, when I've patiently listened to the salespitch and then politely said that I am not interested in paying a one-time price of $39.95, that should be the end of it. But it never, ever, ever ends there. My personal favorite line is the one the goes a little something like this..."I understand, Mrs. H., but let me ask you this...are Christian videos with good family values something you would like to support? Yes? If so, how about a one-time payment of $19.95? Surely good family values are worth $19.95 to you." Well, sir, if you really understood my first answer of "no", then you wouldn't still be trying to sell me this video, now would you? (I finally had to say, "Sir, I'm not trying to be rude, but I already said no to the same question. Goodbye.") AAAGGHHH~!

5. People who walk, slowly with no purpose, down the middle of a parking lot aisle. How do they not realize that there is a line of cars behind them? This just makes me shake my head.

6. People who talk loudly on their cell phones in the middle of a restaurant, theater, mall, etc....I don't want to hear their conversation.

7. The salespeople at those little kiosks in the mall who try to stop you and get you to try their "one-of-a-kind, can't-live-without-it
nail buffing product. Why is it that they can only speak passable English? The one time I got suckered in, the salesman said something like, "You like product? You buy product, yes?" Ummm...No. (By the way, you can get the same nail-buffed effect with a little buffing stone for about $3 at Walmart.)

8. Having to go sit in the bar in order to get a gift certificate to some of my favorite restaurants. I don't want to sit at a smoky bar with a bunch of loud drunks....especially if my 2-year old is with me.

9. Junk mail. Especially credit card offers. However, I just got a shredder and there is something oddly cathartic about grinding up those credit card offers piece by piece....

10. Women who rummage through piles of clothing on store shelves during a sale and leave such a mess behind that it is pointless to even look. Didn't their mothers teach them any manners?

11. People with no manners!

Okay, so this is just a partial list, but I thought I'd get some of that off my chest. I've encountered it all during this week alone, but now I feel better. Feel free to add your own "AAAGGGHHHs" if it will help!

5 comments:

Bekah said...

LOVE your list and say amen to all of it. I'll add the following:

1. Long lost friend reunions in any given aisle of Wal-Mart. The pile-up of carts is impossible to get around OR I need whatever is stocked BEHIND the reunion. I'm going to ask the next reunion to relocate to the beer aisle. I don't shop there.

2. Wal-Mart aisles are not one way. Drive the cart to the right, people!! I pull into an aisle with my cart and there are two people headed my way, side by side. And both look irritated with me for being there. Uh, one of you needs to be behind the other there, chicky!

3. Parking lot stalkers. If I'm walking to my car in a crowded lot, there's always a car stalking me to see if I have a good place. If I'm still walking halfway down the aisle, they zoom on, having given up. If I stop to load my car, they stop, holding up six other cars behind them. I am pressured into a marathon loading of the car - hope I don't break the eggs!!

SkyePuppy said...

Your #4: My most recent telemarketer was for a charity raising money for children with cancer. He tried to make me feel guilty when I told him I already had my charities that I supported. "Oh, but are you helping children suffering from cancer?" It didn't work. I told hime, "No, I'm not. Goodbye." And then I hung up. I love it when I hang up.

Your #9: My shredder is one of my favorite toys!

Malott said...

How about the people in the checkout who pay by check, but do not start writing until they hear the balance...

You see, if I didn't have the forsight to get cash from the ATM, I would at least have everything filled in on my check - except for the amount.

As long as we're sending drunk drivers to prison, let them be accompanied by people who talk on their cell phones while they drive.

Bekah said...

I second that one - the people who don't work ahead on their checks. I start writing mine as soon as I get in line. Then I stand there and pray that I don't get mugged (hey, you never know where I live!) and find someone running away with my checkbook to clean out my account!

Sadly - I'm a talking while driving offender. It's probably because I just plain don't know how to stop talking.

Anonymous said...

Since we're on the driving theme. How about old folks who drive, sitting on phone books, obeying the 35 MPH speed limit once they've left it. It takes them 3 months to get up to 55, in the fast lane, driving next to an equally old folk, holding up traffic for miles.