The Right Perspective

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Surgery Tomorrow!

Well, I know I haven't updated in a week or so, and I'm pressed for time now, but here's the scoop:

~Once again, I did indeed herniate a large portion of the same disc for a third time
~As a result, I will require a minimally invasive lumbar fusion known as TLIF, or Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion, of the L5/S1 vertebrae. 
~The offending disc will be completely removed (YAY...can't rupture any more ever) and replaced with a plastic spacer that will be filled with my bone fragments.  Then I'll have two rods placed to shore up the vertebrae and 4 screws to hold it all in place.  (Sounds like a good time, huh?)
~The entire surgery will last about an hour and a half and will require two, two-inch incisions on either side of my very low spine (which should make a lucky three across).  Once again, I'll be stitched from the inside and then super-glued back together. 
~I will be admitted to the hospital in about an hour from now (6pm-ish on Tuesday evening) and the surgery will take place Wednesday around 1 pm.  
~I will stay in the hospital for at least 24 hours, possibly two nights depending on how I'm doing.

So there you have it.  I would greatly and forever appreciate any and all prayers over the next few days for both a safe and successful surgery as well as a relatively easy and pain-free recovery (because goodness knows I've endured my fair share of pain over this last year!)

I'll update when I can....hopefully when I'm crutch-free!!

3 comments:

Bekah said...

Praying for and with you! Saw on Lisa's FB today that your surgery was tomorrow, so I'm glad you updated and I could get the full scoop. HATE how much pain (and how many surgeries!) you've had this year, so I'll be praying hard for this to be the FULL ANSWER!!!!! Love you!

Christina said...

Thanks. I really appreciate the prayers more
than I can say. I'm not going to lie, I am scared. I want to go back home and sleep in my own bed.

I need this to work once and for all.

Bekah said...

I would be scared too!! :( Hey I told Mom and Dad so they'll be on the prayers too. HATE this for you. Hate it so much. Praying hard, my friend. Much love.