The Right Perspective

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Greenish Thumb?

I believe I've mentioned here before that I'm not really a gardener.  In fact, I really never liked to play in the dirt or get sweaty and I HATE spiders.  We have lots of spiders in our enormous flower beds, by the way, one of which dared to crawl across my flip-flopped foot.  It almost made me quit....but I didn't and I must say, it almost looks like I might have a green-ish thumb.   

When you look at this first picture, keep in mind that before I started this summer, there were only the four green and white hostas along the sidewalk and the clump of daylilies at the edge of the picture.  Oh, and tons of weeds.  And spiders.  And bugs.



And now....let there be green and color and far fewer weeds.



This is the other side of the step.  Before there was one lone hosta.  Now, there are 6. 









This is looking down the sidewalk.  Doesn't look too impressive from this angle.  Lots of new stuff, but it's been so hot and dry that a lot of it is still in the newly-planted-still-struggling stage.



The end of flower bed.  My hydrangea bush suffered major frost damage because of the crazy hot-then-cold spell this spring.  I was hoping it would survive.  It did and it's huge and full of pink, purple and blue blossoms.




My lilies are blooming!  I think I planted two a few years ago and they have multiplied.  They don't last too long, but they're gorgeous while they're here.




Looking back down towards the step.  I like this section of the garden a lot now.  

2 comments:

Bekah said...

I'm so proud of you!!!! Looks GREAT!! Mine is very sparse compared to yours - and now that I think about it - it probably needs an evening drink too. Better go do that.

Christina said...

Thanks! As I said, mine was very sparse as well....but since it didn't look like my dream of pouring a concrete front porch over the whole mess was going to pan out, I decided to embrace the garden and fill it with something that will be low maintenance, come back every year and spread without taking over.

Some things look pretty rough right now, but next year, and with hopefully more rain, I think it will be looking good!