The Right Perspective

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happenings

Happening here lately:

Today, after Emily got home from school and we had run a few errands, I took a moment to go to the bathroom. When I came out, Emily was yelling to me something to the effect of, "Mom, hurry...you've got to see this! Come on!"


Those words could be good....or could be bad. Thankfully, it wasn't anything too bad. Emily had noticed a caterpillar on the front step and had managed to capture it in a little play tea cup. She was quite proud of herself (even though she knew she wasn't supposed to go outside without asking first!). Her preschool class has been watching caterpillars turn into cocoons and soon butterflies, so Miss Em was very excited to announce that this caterpillar would soon be a butterfly too.


I informed her that we didn't have the right kind of food to feed it, and so if we kept it in the house (ewww!) it would die. It wouldn't have a chance to be a butterfly if it lived in our house, but if we let it go back outside, it could eat and explore and eventually become a butterfly. Emily was quite sad, but she agreed that she didn't want it to die. I asked her if she wanted to go take it outside, to which she replied, "I don't want to touch it!", so I offered to take it out for her. She said a sad goodbye to the caterpillar and then I took it back outside (in the cup of course, because ewww!) and let it go in the weeds, umm, I meant, flower garden. Then I continued on to get the trash can and recycling can and wheel them back behind the house.


When I got back inside, I heard sobbing coming from the bathroom. When Emily came out, she was crying and saying, "I just miss the caterpillar so much. I loved him! I named him Buggy Bug. I LOVED Buggy Bug. I'm so sad. I will miss him so much. I prayed that God will keep Buggy Bug safe." etc.....


There's a lot of drama in our house. Heaven help us when this kid is a teenager. I request your prayers now. We're going to need them.



And, because it relates to the caterpillar story, another Emily story:


A few weeks ago, Emily saw a commercial on the Disney channel for a kit that you can buy to grow your own butterflies. You get a butterfly house, 5 butterfly larvae (ewww!) and food. And, as is common with all info-mercials, if you bought right then, you could double your order and get 5 more for FREE! Free I tell you! This got Emily very excited...until she heard that you had to be 18 or older (to order). All she heard was the "18 or older" part. She thought she couldn't use the kit.


Fast forward a week or so, and guess what appears in her preschool classroom? Yep, the butterfly house and growing kit. And guess what Miss Emily, in all her 5.5 year old wisdom told the teacher? Oh yes, she informed her that you had to be 18 or older to do this and that she could have had 5 more butterflies for free....FREE!

Oh sweet Emily!



And then there's this little boy. We're lovingly referring to him as "Our Little Vampire" these days, because in addition to his two middle bottom teeth, he now has the two upper "fangs", but no upper middle teeth yet (though they're on the way in too.) Those little fangs have caused much weeping and gnashing of teeth, but they're finally in!


In other Ethan news, the kid has finally hit 17 lbs. He's had a few trips to the doctor recently because I was sure he had an ear infection (all the signs), but each time, it was just teething discomfort. The good part of the appointments, other than not needing any medication, was finding out how he is growing. The answer...still slowly. As of last week, he was 17 lbs. and 4 oz., but man...is he ever into absolutely EVERYTHING. He crawls fast. He babbles much. He stands all the time. He cruises. He dances. He laughs. He screams. He is one very, VERY busy little guy.
Life is good.

No comments: