The Right Perspective

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Poison Ivy...or Not?

Two years ago, while cleaning out the backyard flower bed (which was completely overgrown and covered in ivy and weeds at the time), I got my first case of poison ivy. I obviously didn't know what it really looked like, or I would have avoided it! I pretty much left everything alone last year, since I was quite pregnant, but this year I (sadly) have to go back to weeding. Boo...hiss.
So I once again cleaned out the back flower bed, wearing gloves (which I do anyhow because, ewww...bugs!) and using the hoe as much as possible. However, I am still leary because I don't know for sure what got me last time.
I found this plant growing in the decorative metal bucket planters attached to the retaining wall. I think it's poison ivy....what do you think?

The above plant is the "bigger picture" of the same plant above.



Then I found this in another flower bed we were attempting to weed this weekend. It's poison ivy too, isn't it?



And more, along the side of the house.




This is the only one I'm not sure about. Is this the beginning of poison ivy? Like a baby poison ivy plant? If so, there's a TON of it in that back flower bed, shooting right up. I'm amazed I'm not covered if it is.
And lastly, if indeed all these plants are poison ivy, how do I safely get rid of it all....for good?



1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

My guess (especially after looking at Google images) is Yes, all but the last look like poison ivy.

"Leaves of three, let it be," is the saying I learned very early in life. The last picture has those extra leaves, so it is most likely NOT poison ivy.

I have no idea how to make it go away.