The Right Perspective

Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Cheeseburger, The Lobster and The Bailout

Imagine if you will that a man walks into a restaurant, sits at the table and opens a menu. He has $5.00 in his pocket...no more, no less. He sees a cheeseburger meal for $3.99 (I wish!). But he keeps looking at the menu and suddenly notices a huge lobster meal that costs $20.00. (Again, we're imagining here.) The man likes the lobster. He really, really wants the lobster. But he has a problem. He only has $5.00. He has no way of getting any more money. This is what he can spend on his meal. Yet that succulent lobster is calling his name. It's not just a meal, it's DINNER and it would be so nice. So the man (let's call him Bob) decides he must have the lobster.

Bob calls the Manager over to his table. He says, "Sir, the lobster looks wonderful. I really, really like lobster. I want it. I have enough money for the cheeseburger, but I don't want a cheeseburger. I want the lobster. I must have it, but I only have $5.00 and I won't be getting any more. What can you do for me?"

So the Manager, who is interested in making money, thinks for a moment and says, "Okay Bob, I'll cut you a deal. I know you only have $5.00. I know you won't be able to pay any more than that, but we'll worry about that later. Who knows, maybe sometime before you leave, you'll find the rest of the money, so I'll let you have the lobster for 30% off. You only have to pay $15.00. But if you don't pay that $15.00 before you leave, I'll have to take back your half-eaten (read: now worthless) lobster. Deal?"

And without worrying about what might happen later, Bob, who really wanted the lobster, but still had no way of paying for it, said, "Deal!"

Well sadly (and we all feel really bad for him), Bob could not pay for the lobster and before he had finished even a little bit of it, the waiter came back and took away the lobster that Bob really, really wanted, but knew he could not afford. The Manager then took all of Bob's $5.00 as payment and also took a hit because he did not make a profit (and perhaps even lost money) on the once-yummy lobster.

Now Bob and the restaurant Manager were sad and upset and even a little angry. How dare they not only not get what they both really wanted, but they both lost something in the process!

So both Bob and the Manager went to see the King. They both told their sad tales to the King (with a few tears, some screaming and lots and lots of panic). "Help us get out of this mess we've made!", they cried. And the King had a decision to make. He could either help the two men or he could let them suffer the consequences of their foolish decisions. If he helped them, then all the King's responsible Countrymen would have to pay more taxes, (which were already far too high) and they might even revolt and kill the King, but if he let them suffer the consequences, the restaurant might go out of business and Bob might go bankrupt.

What do you think the King should choose? I think the answer is obvious, don't you?

Now, of course, this is just an imaginary tale and I am admittedly not an economic genius. (I hate math!) But this is my understanding of the way the whole sub-prime mortgage lending/bailout crisis happened. This example seems silly, but isn't this what happened on a much larger scale? (someone please correct me if I'm way off base here) Why then, should I, as a responsible tax-payer and borrower, pay even more of my hard-earned money to fix this mess that irresponsible gamblers created?

And can someone else explain to me what is so bad about allowing the market to correct this mess as it is designed to do? Yes, companies will fail, times will be rough for many, but the free market would also root out the irresponsible lenders and be stronger for it, right?

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

6 comments:

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Heard the other day on a radio talk show: "A truly free market is infinitely more wise and fair than the wisest 3 economist you can name. If left alone, good behavior is rewarded and bad behavior is punished."

And, I agree with the gist from something said at the debate last night...the bailout is not fixing the economy, it's "fixing" the fraud. Why reward the thieves with a buyout?

Bryan Alexander said...

Can I just add a little bit to the lobster "tale"? (pun intended)

Several years before Bob visited this restaurant, a previous King had issued a decree, which he called the Community Reinvestment Act. This decree stated that the restaurant Manager must make it possible for everyone, even customers with only $5.00, to buy a lobster dinner.

One day, a customer (let's call this customer Stan) wanted to buy a lobster dinner, but he (like Bob several years later) only had $5.00 to spend. The Manager wouldn't sell Stan a lobster dinner because he didn't think it would be a good business decision. However, a young, partly African-American lawyer represented Stan in a lawsuit against the Manager, claiming that the Manager must make a lobster dinner available to everyone, as the old King had decreed. Stan and this young, partly African-American lawyer won the lawsuit, and from that day forward, the Manager always figured out a way to make a lobster dinner available to every customer.

Years later, when Bob (from the original story), lost his lobster, and the Manager lost his money, and they went to the new King to solve their problem, the young, partly African-American lawyer (now somewhat older, but still a smooth talker) said that Bob lost his lobster because of the new King's "failed policies of the last eight years." He didn't mention that the old King's decree and the lawsuit that he himself had brought against the Manager had forced the Manager to sell lobster dinners to all customers, even those with only $5.00 to spend. He said that if the people would only make him King, he would make sure that everyone gets a lobster dinner, and that no one would ever again lose his lobster.

And the people believed him.

Christina said...

Beth,

I'm going to guess that you were listening to Dave Ramsey? I think he's a very wise man...

Christina said...

Bryan,

Very interesting. I did not know that a certain part African-American lawyer had anything to do with this story, but I don't doubt you one bit. It only makes the tale that much richer...and scarier.

Feel free to enrich my imaginative tales anytime...glad to see you around, and as always, you are very insightful.

janice said...

Christina, I may be the only one who's unable to read your post. The words aren't there. I had to click comments and un-hide the original post to read it.
Did you change font color or something?

Christina said...

Janice,

I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't have any trouble viewing anything on the blog. I did change the template and colors, but it's working fine for me. Sometimes it takes a few extra seconds to load.