The Right Perspective

Monday, July 21, 2008

Still Waiting and Hoping

Well, what to write? It's been a very, very long and worry-filled weekend. Lot's of ups and downs with Bella, lot's of running from one vet to another and filling out paperwork and transferring meds and lifting Bella in and out of the van. Add to the melee that Emily is really struggling with the idea that if she doesn't poop on the potty every single time she goes, she will be sick. She walks around with her hand covering her mouth (just in case) and is literally obsessed with the idea that she might be sick. She's also now worried that her food or drink might be "yucky" (because I told her that her hours -old chocolate milk would be yucky to drink) so she is becoming afraid to eat.

And just to add insult to injury, my right eyelid started swelling up this afternoon for no apparent reason. It isn't too bad, just annoying on top of everything else. Just what I need. Now I need to wear my glasses (which drive me nuts for long periods of time) and they don't like to stay up well.

Now for a Bella update....I picked her up at the weekend emergency clinic at 7:20 this morning. She definitely looked better. Her tongue is back where it belongs, which is to say, she was licking me a little bit. She seemed more steady on her feet, though one paw is very swollen, probably from the iv catheter. After getting her settled back at our vet, they ran bloodwork and said that her liver numbers were getting close to normal, which in and of itself is an absolute miracle. Her kidney numbers are still high/rising?. We thought before the bloodwork that she might be home tonight, but after seeing the kidney results, the vet decided to keep her another night and continue to give her more fluids. Hopefully they will do more bloodwork tomorrow morning and she will be given the all-clear to come home. We did get a chance to visit with her this afternoon for a few minutes. Andrew couldn't go because of work, but I took Em to kind of prepare her for how Bella might look. I think it did Bella some good because her tail started wagging pretty hard and she gave Em and me lots more kisses this morning. I guess she really does love the kid too, even though she's "my" dog.

So, we wait a little more.

4 comments:

Bekah said...

I'm so glad you posted - I've been checking your blog all the time to see if you had an update. And I have been praying for lil Bella. (I figure if I can pray for poop and pee for my other mom friends, I can pray for a dog for you, right?)

I'm glad to hear she was better - even if it was just some better.

And I will add Emily (and your eye) to my prayer list - keep me posted and if you need to call - you know you can anytime!

Oh and by the way - you remember how I was going to McDonalds for ice cream on saturday after we talked? Definitely went to the drive thru and ordered a blizzard. what a DORK.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Glad to hear things sound like they are on the upswing for Bella. Thinking of you...

janice said...

Oh Christina, I'm glad Bella is doing better, I'm sure seeing you and Emily helped her.

SkyePuppy said...

Tail-wagging is a very good sign! I'm so glad she's doing so much better. Keep us posted.