The Right Perspective

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hope and Fear

Today we went to see Bella again. The vet has been great about communicating with us and encouraging us to come in and spend a little time with Bella. They think it helps her, and so do I. We got to actually spend about 10 minutes in a private room with her today, which was nicer. Her poor paws are so swollen from the iv catheters, but that's minor damage compared to what is still raging inside.

After bloodwork today, her red blood count is in the normal range, but her kidney values are still rising. It's possible that we are reaching the peak, but it's also possible that this is a worsening of her condition. Her temperature is low and her gums are pale (don't know if that's good or bad). She was still giving plenty of kisses and wagging her tail and she obviously wanted to come home with Emily and me. She is still on fluids and stilling urinating a lot, but the question now is, if we take her off the forced fluids, will her kidneys still work at all. The vet wanted to keep her again overnight and then run more bloodwork tomorrow morning. She said that the half-life of ibuprofen was about 5 days, which is basically where we are right now. This may be the worst or it may be the beginning of something more. We just don't know at this point and my heart is heavy. I'm not ready to give up on her and I don't think she's ready to give up either. She's fighting so very hard. I can't believe she's made it through this far.

So, if you are the praying type....pray hard for her kidneys to heal. The vet said that she will likely have permanent kidney problems, but we'll deal with that later. Besides, miracles still happen...I just pray that Bella is one of them.

5 comments:

Bekah said...

Poor Bella!! :( I will definitely pray for her lil kidneys and I will pray for YOU!!!

How's Emily and the getting-sick-fear situation?

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Aw, honey - I hope this is just the darkness before the dawn and that Bella will be home with you this time next week!

SkyePuppy said...

Bella and her family remain in my prayers.

janice said...

I pray Bella will be coming home very soon. You all remain in my devotions.

Malott said...

C,

I feel kind of guilty that I haven't visited your blog for several days and only now have heard of your family crisis.

I assume Bella's urea nitrogen and creatinine are very high. If her kidneys don't recover appreciably then you may have a very tough decision to make... But your vet, I'm sure, will explain the options.

Tylenol (acetamenophen) would have been much worse. I've witnessed that horrible outcome in humans.

Anyway, I'll pray for you to know and do what is best for your baby.

Hang in there.