The Right Perspective

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Nut House

Well, I've once again been negligent in the upkeep of my blog. It's not that I don't have things to write about. I have plenty of ideas, but not enough time. Add to that a crabby toddler and the preparations all this week (and some last week) for the much-anticipated extended-family vacation to, where else?, Disney World.

Now ordinarily, I would not be brave enough (read: crazy enough) to take a 2.5 year old to Disney, especially in the summer, but Grandma and Grandpa, mom and dad, Emily, two aunts an uncle and an honorary "aunt" are also going, so we have reinforcements. Still, it will likely result in quite a few blog-worthy moments (and pictures) of course.

Oh, did I mention that we will be caravanning in 3 vehicles? I don't know how many hours it will take, but even with the newly purchased and already much beloved mobile DVD player in our van, I have a feeling we'll all be experiencing some bad cases of "Butt-Rot".

In other news, last weekend, the hubby and I attempted to do a little outdoor-around-the-house work. We weeded the huge front flower bed and then decided to do something about the two basically dead shrubs that flank the right side of our front steps. So we cut the first one down in only a few minutes, but while doing so, I noticed that a bird had flown into the one right beside it that was slating for removal next. I mentioned this to Andrew and said that there was probably a nest there. We looked through the shrub as well as we could, but didn't see anything, so we started chopping. Andrew would chop and I would pull out the freed branches. We got three-quarters of the tree out and then I heard it...splat!!PeeepppPEeeeppPEEEEEP!!!!SQWAUCK!

There was indeed a nest, and in it...two newly-hatched baby birds. Well, at least, they used to be in the nest. Now they were lying on the sidewalk, with momma bird screaming at us from a nearby tree. As you can imagine, we were horrified to have done this. As Andrew attempted to provide some shade for the birds, Emily kept saying, "Poor baby birdies just want their momma and daddy" and I tried to find someone to help us save them on Saturday afternoon. The animal control people basically told us to leave them there, which I could not in good conscience do, as it was very hot, sunny and they would have baked on the sidewalk. So we grabbed some cardboard, scooped the birds and nest up, put the nest at the base of the tree we had been cutting down and slid the birds back in the nest. (Oh, I forgot to mention that Emily sort of stepped of the back legs of one of them in her zeal to "help".)

Later that afternoon, we saw the momma bird feeding at least one of the birds and sitting back with them, so we had hoped for the best, but within two days, both birds died. It was a rough weekend here, waiting for the inevitable. Thankfully, Emily seems oblivious to their deaths, so we don't have to explain that quite yet.

So there you have it...life in my house for less than a week! I think we'll just rename it "The Nut House".

8 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Have a great time at Disney World! It's good that you have reinforcements.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Sorry to hear about the bird episode...isn't funny how a relatively small event can turn in a marathon epic with kids? LOL And, have a wonderful time at Disney! Did you solve your double stroller dilemma? Send us a postcard! *wink* And, take LOTS of pics!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

...sorry, I mean your car seat problem! Geez! Where's my brain today?

Bekah said...

Hey there! I just met your friends - the Brooks! They were GREAT people! I love having great people in my alphabet. It also brought back such fond memories of the weekend - THIS weekend - 11 years ago when I met my good friend Christina!!

I am so sorry about the birdies. :( Does it help in anyway that I got an egg with the lawnmower last week? I think it was done for before I got there.

Good to see you posting again! :)

Christina said...

Thanks Skyepuppy! I am looking forward to doing something fun and child-like for a while, I'm just a bit nervous about the toddler in Disney World

Hope you get your camera dilemma fixed ASAP, by the way. What a frustration!

See you in about a week!

Christina said...

Beth,

Thanks for the info about the carseat. I'm still looking into it, but I decided that right before a very long car-ride would not be a good time to change things up. Besides I want to do LOTS of research. Right now, I'm actually leaning toward a Britax Regent but I hate to spend that much money....then again, it's for Em's safety, so we'll see. The good news is that since she is so darn tall, it narrows down the choices significantly.

I'll be sure to take (and post when I get back) lots of pictures.

Christina said...

Bekah,

Hey buddy! So you did in a bird too? It really stinks, but such is life sometimes.

I'm glad you didn't mind me giving your name to the Brooks' family. Since they've always homeschooled their kids, they're a little nervous about college, so I wanted to help guide them to a friendly face...and who better than you?

I can't believe it's already been 11 years since we met. I can't be getting this old, can I? Can we? Then again, I wouldn't trade it (or you) for the world.

Bekah said...

They were a SUPER nice family (and I always love those kind!) It was funny because I'd just come back from the only restroom break I'd had in quite a while and as soon as I walked in, the secretary said "THERE she is!" (Always enjoy my return from "across the way" as we call it - announced to the entire lobby.) I enjoyed meeting them. Totally fine that you gave them my name.

Yeah 11 years - isn't it scary? I told them your misfortune was that I was lonely and you weren't talking to anyone else, so I nabbed you as my first friend. :)

We are definitely NOT old (I got a story about old for you, for email). I wouldn't trade you either, though, for the record!! :D Love ya!