The Right Perspective

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Rating Christianity

Scripps Howard News Service reports on the upcoming movie "Facing the Giants", a family movie that is causing quite a controversy because of the PG rating imposed upon it by the MPAA (motion picture association of America).

The reason for giving this wholesome family movie a PG rating? According to a Scripps article, the MPAA said it, "decided that the movie was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. It's important that they used the word 'proselytizing' when they talked about giving this movie a PG. ..

The movie includes such elements as "waves of answered prayers, a medical miracle, a mysterious silver-haired mystic who delivers a message from God and a bench-warmer who kicks a 51-yard field goal to win the big game when his handicapped father pulls himself out of a wheelchair and stands under the goal post to inspire his son's faith. There's a prayer-driven gust of wind in there, too." (OH MY!)

This is the stuff that defined many a successful Disney film, back when Disney wasn't controlled by more liberal groups. In fact, this type of plot line is the traditional family movie. A Christian football coach uses his personal faith in God to help him overcome obstacles such a fear and failure. Along the way, he shares his faith with others. (GASP!) In the end, his team is victorious. Your basic family-movie plot.

So what, precisely, has given the MPAA cause for enough concern to rate this movie alongside those with profanity, violence or brief nudity? The American Family Association believes it is the following scene which merited the PG rating:

In a "...chat between football coach Grant Taylor _ played by Alex Kendrick _ and a rich brat named Matt Prader. The coach says that he needs to stop bad-mouthing his bossy father and get right with God.
The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? ... Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."
The coach replies: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it'll change your life. You'll never be the same.""


So if I understand this correctly, the film is rating PG for standing up for one's beliefs and sharing them with others. It offers a choice. "Here's what I believe. It has made a positive difference in my life. I'd like to share it with you, but in the end, it's your choice whether to accept it or ignore it. The decision is yours. Here's another (diverse) way to think."

I thought diversity was a good thing. I thought liberals loved diversity. I thought they were tolerant and open-minded to everything, especially religions. Oh wait, I forgot, this is Christianity we're talking about. It doesn't count. It only divides people. Christians are intolerant, hateful bigots. Ah yes, that makes sense. Of course we should warn unsuspecting families about this film's Christian message. It might "make" then choose to become a Christian. (OH NO!)

This film absolutely should not be shown. Instead, let's show something like "The Boys of Brokeback Mountain Meet Muhammed". Now that should be educational, positive and uplifting, right? There's no "proselytizing" happening there...

4 comments:

Malott said...

It makes me wonder if "The Passion of the Christ" was really rated "R" for the violence.

I know there are parents that want their children protected from Christianity. Maybe that's where this comes from.

Christina said...

Skyepuppy,

I don't know if you actually saw "The Passion of the Christ", but I would have to say that the violence would have had to be a factor, so in that case, I don't disagree with the rating, though I'm sure the MPAA didn't like the "thematic elements" in that either.

You know, I can understand parents wanting to "protect" their children from religious influences. That's their decision. I wouldn't want my kids to be bombarded with wrong messages either. I can understand that rational. What I don't understand is the willingness of the liberal media to allow us to be bombarded by everything under the sun EXCEPT Christian values (which, to my knowledge have never hurt anyone). It's just a frustrating double standard.

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

Ummm... That was Chris, not me (not that I disagree with what he said, but I don't want to start having identity issues).

Maybe you need more sleep...

Christina said...

My apologies to both Chris and Skyepuppy. I wish I could blame this error on lack of sleep, but I think plain old stupidity is the real culprit.

Again, sorry for my confusion!