The Right Perspective

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Note from the Floor

Who knew that repeatedly lifting a 27 lb. toddler could be so damaging?

Apparently, I am a weakling. There can be no other explanation. About a week ago, I began to notice that I was having some rather uncomfortable back pain. By Sunday afternoon, I'd been downing the Ibuprofen at the maximum allowable dosage for a couple days and decided that I would make a Drs. appointment for Monday. Of course, when I called the Dr. on Monday, there were no openings, so I and my considerable back pain waited not-so-patiently for an appointment today.

I loaded up Emily in the van and then into the stroller and waited for our turn at the Drs'. office. We got called back into the inner sanctum, at which point Emily began to get a little distressed. I assured her that she was not getting weighed, I was, and that the only one who should be stressed about that was me.

Next I hobbled behind the stroller into exam room 18 (I always end up there) at which point Emily began to vigorously shake her head "no, no" (remember, she doesn't talk yet). I once again reassured her that I was the one in the hot seat, so to speak.

The Dr. (not our usual one, as she will be leaving this job at the end of the month) came in, asked me about my symptoms and had me do a few range-of-motion exercises and assorted leg lifts. Of course, all of this was done in my polo shirt and underwear...a lovely sight I am sure. (And by the way, whoever came up with the paper "sheets" that are now used as gowns and sheets in the office should be publicly flogged. Come on, where is the dignity?)

The diagnosis? The Dr. looked at Emily sitting in her stroller and said that she was my problem. Or more to the point, repetitive lifting of Emily is the problem. I've hurt my back by taking care of my toddler. Lovely.

The best part of the story....the Drs. prescription for easing the pain. He suggested taking 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day, laying flat on my back on the floor with my knees bent as much as possible and icing my back (but not to the point of frostbite, mind you!) Oh and don't pick Emily up very much.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Only a man could say that to a stay at home mom of a toddler with a straight face and mean it.

So, it appears that for the time being, my computer time may be cut shorter than usual as I will apparently be lying face down on the living room floor with several packs of frozen vegetables on my entire lower back while overdosing on Ibuprofen. Either that or get used to the pain.

Ah Calgon, take me away!

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

He made you lie face-down? My chiropractor has me put the icepack (one of those blue gel things you keep in the freezer) on my bed or couch and lie down on it. No smashing my face into the carpet. And I can hold up a book and read while the back of my waist freezes.

Maybe you can try it face-up next time (provided the earth doesn't swallow you up for disobeying the doctor's instructions).

I threw out my back before I had kids and got bursitis in one shoulder right after my daughter was born (at the ancient age of 30). Welcome to the world of the decrepit, Christina!

SkyePuppy said...

One more thing (make that two).

1) Lift with your legs. But your doctor probably already told you that.

2) Train Emily to jump when you pick her up (this is not a joke). When my kids were still at the picking-up age but getting big enough to hurt my back, I'd lower myself just a bit (like doing squats in an exercise video, only not so deep), put my hands in picking-up position, and have them jump up. They did all the hard lifting work, and I just had to straighten up my legs and stick the child on my hip. It really helped keep my back from hurting.

Malott said...

Christina,

You know, this moment shouldn't pass without a picture ot two, simply taken to remind you of this difficult time.

Perhaps your husband could take a couple shots of you face-down on the carpeting with frozen vegetables on your back. You could post them on your blog page. I could copy them and paste them on my page. Yes. Yes, that would be the thing to do. There, it's settled.

I'm pretty sure your mother-in-law takes a little bourbon for her back pain. But stretching, Ibuprofen, and soaking in the tub (preferably with some kind of "spa" device to circulate the water) are your best bets.

Hang in there, Tiger... and I will certainly add you to my morning prayers.