The Right Perspective

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Excuses, Excuses...

Well, it seems that once again, I am proving to be an elusive blogger these days. I think my problem is that there is too much that really needs to be done and far too little time to do it in.

Take for instance, the maintenance of this blog. I should be posting interesting commentaries on all the fascinating and frustrating political issues of the world, or at the very least, I could be posting some insightful little ditty on something from my life. However, I have done neither lately. Instead, I've been doing laundry and cleaning and grocery shopping and playing with Emily...oh and painting our master bathroom.

As I have only a 2-3 hour window (while Emily naps) to accomplish things like laundry, blogging or painting, when a special task arises (like painting) blogging most unfortunately ends up by the wayside.

So, I thought I would at least take a few precious minutes to describe my current task-at-hand. We bought a very lovely home a little over 2 years ago. When we bought the house, it was in very good shape, but I was not, as I was 5-6 months pregnant when we moved in. As a result, the only room in the house that got "personalized" and redecorated in our style was Emily's room, since that had previously been the room of a 12 year-old boy who apparently loved Notre Dame. (Notre Dame border, navy and cream wall color.) That, of course, could not stay in this house, so Emily's room got changed to a nice light sky blue on top, pale grass green on bottom with hand-painted flowers, butterflies, lady bugs, snails, dragonflies and bees as a sort of border between the two colors.

Then, when Emily was about 6 months old, I decided to tackle painting our living room (approximately 400 sq. ft.) It went from a strange shade of purple/grey/brown on bottom with a dingy cream on top to a cool beachy shade of blue of an ivory chair rail. I like it much better than the weird purply color (which, much to my chagrin is still on the walls in the dining room....)

So now, since the dining room is too big to conquer during Emily's nap time, I am on to the upstairs bathrooms. I started with our master bath, as I and my darling husband are both sick of the sickly yellow shade that is currently on the walls. It really does nothing for the room, as the floor has ceramic tile with shades of greys and browns and the tub/toilet/sink/and trim are all off-white. (When you picture this color, think of the neutral basic outlet-covers...plus a little tinge of yellow...not pretty) So I am currently trying out a nice neutral shade of taupe on the walls. I just finished priming the bathroom (my face hasn't been that intimate with the toilet since my bout of the stomach flu over Christmas) and even in it's unfinished, uneven primed look, it is so much better already. I hope the actual color ends up looking even better than the tinted primer.

However, I have run into a snag. We replaced the light fixture above the mirror with a nicer one, but the back plate that fits against the wall is shorter than the old one, revealing two holes that once housed drywall anchors. I might be able to spackle them closed, but they're pretty big. Then, when I removed the towel rack (just a board with 4 pegs) I discovered two, 1 inch in diameter holes that must have also held drywall anchors strong enough to hang me up. I have no idea what the previous owners were thinking there...we had a similar issue in the living room, but not quite as bad. So, now before I go on to the actual painting I have to go find some drywall repair kits. I've never done that before, but I guess I'm about to learn. Let's just hope that when I move on to Emily's bathroom, I don't have to patch any huge holes there.

So...that's what I've been up to. I'll try to keep up a little better, but I won't make any promises until the painting is over.

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

Yes, painting become a self-feeding monster, doesn't it?

Now that I've painted the girls' rooms, the master bedroom is the tackiest bedroom in the house. We can't have that!

So I've decided on a color, but that's about as far as I've gone. I sure could use another 4-day weekend...

Best of luck with your drywall repair. That would be over my head at this point.